Sunday, December 23, 2018

Our Treasures

In a secure garage, the antagonist states,
“My entire life was spent on these cars.  It is a constant reminder of where I’ve come from and where I want to go.”  
(The Rare Vehicle Garage Clip from the movie Overdrive)

**
With only 22 miles on the odometer, this Volkswagen Beetle has not been driven since 1964 and is currently offered at $1,000,000.

**
How about a bottle of Macallan Whiskey?  Well, you’re a little late and about $1.1 Million short. Perhaps then, Macallan Rare Cask. You probably won't be out much more than $300.00.



**
Some might be more interested in this list of the most expensive auctions in 2017 starting with Leonardo da Vinci’s Salvator Mundi (“Saviour of the World) which sold for $450.3 Million.

We value many things: The cars we drive, the houses we live in, the country clubs we belong to.  We value health. We value freedom.  We value family.  We apparently value rare!



Let me mention something I re-discovered the other day.  Three people were in line at the grocery store directly in front of me; Two little girls and their mom.  Of course, kids are kids.  One had a loose shoe-lace and the other didn’t seem able to sit still.  I’m guessing the day was a rat-race for the mom.  I’m guessing the kids were restless as well.

There was a moment of hesitation – it’s been a while, but I excused myself to the mother.  I mentioned the shoe-laces (the situation seemed to be a harbinger of unpleasant things to come for the child) and then, without thinking and in total surprise, I asked if I could buy the girls a candy-bar.

She hesitated, but kindly acquiesced with a small grin.  The girls dashed to the counter with wide eyes and each chose a favorite.  They quickly said thanks with big smiles.  I said “Merry Christmas” and they returned the greeting - exuberantly!

This did not approach the $450 million dollar painting of Christ because in all honesty, that price was surpassed by the immeasurable gift of a child’s smile.  Both are rare. The cost of this one was $2.00.
People were bringing little children to Jesus for him to place his hands on them, but the disciples rebuked them. When Jesus saw this, he was indignant. He said to them, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. Mark 10: 13-16
For where your treasure is, there also is your heart.  Matthew 6:21


Merry Christmas!

No comments: