Saturday, February 18, 2017

Far from the Home I Love

YouTube Link:  The Fiddler on the Roof: Far from the Home I Love

Tevye and his daughter Hodel are talking.

So you are leaving your home to join that hero of yours?
But why won't you tell me where he is now, this Joseph of yours?

It is far, Papa, terribly far.
He is in a settlement in Siberia.

Siberia? And he asks you to leave your father and mother to join him in that frozen wasteland?
And marry him there?

No, Papa, he did not ask me to go, I want to go.
I don't want him to be alone.
I want to help him in his work.


But Hodel.  Baby.

But Papa.

How can I hope to make you understand?
Why I do, what I do
Why I must travel to a distant land
Far from the home I love

Once I was happily content to be
As I was, where I was
Close to the people who are close to me
Here in the home I love

Who could see that a man would come
Who would change the shape of my dreams?
Helpless now, I stand with him
Watching older dreams grow dim

Oh, what a melancholy choice this is
Wanting home, wanting him
Closing my heart to every hope but his
Leaving the home I love

There where my heart has settled long ago I must go, I must go
Who could imagine I'd be wandering so
Far from the home I love
Yet, there with my love I'm home

The dialogue continues...
Well, give him my regards, this Moses of yours.
I always thought he was a good man.
Tell him I rely on his honor to treat my daughter well, Tell him that.

Papa, God alone knows when we shall see each other again.

Then we will leave it in His hands


***

What might this post be all about?  I mean, the song lyrics above were from a movie released in 1971.  The circumstances I speak of today are different but yet, in my thoughts, this was the song that came immediately to mind.

Let's just say, similar feelings have taken over my days.  I'm not talking about my daughter leaving to be with her husband as in this motion picture.  We did that nearly 10 years ago and it turned out better than great!

Instead, bright and early today, (2/18/17) I left my daughter, her husband, their children, my mother, my siblings and others for a new job in (NOT Siberia, thank you God) Ohio.  Not thousands of miles - only 600 or so.

There have been a few days of goodbyes - and they're always difficult.  But this time, they are especially painful since this transition has given us little time to prepare.

This is not the path I would have freely chosen.

This is the path that has chosen me.

"Then we will leave it in His hands"

And that is what I will focus on.  His path.  Perhaps there is a reason for this journey.  Perhaps some day I'll know what that reason might be.  Perhaps not.  But I'll take comfort in the words of this song and in the Book of Daniel.

Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego replied to him, “King Nebuchadnezzar, we do not need to defend ourselves before you in this matter. If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to deliver us from it, and he will deliver us[c] from Your Majesty’s hand. But even if he does not, we want you to know, Your Majesty, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up.”  Daniel 3:16-18

Maybe that quote confuses some.  It's not a question of 'other gods'. It's more that I'm learning to trust God.  I believe that good things will come from this path.  But, trust will remain  'even if He does not' deliver good things.

Trust was my Word of the year in 2014.  I'm still learning how to do this but I think that I am making progress.

In case you're wondering, my word this year is "SEEK".  I am 'seeking' His star.  I am 'seeking' His direction and His path.  Apparently, Epiphany attached itself to me this year. Wise Men followed the Star.  They traveled far - and so will I.  They followed His star - and so will I.
See you soon,
m
Mike
Zayde






No comments: