Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Church-Search

The first note from Cincinnati

How are you!

It's been a while - again.  The last post was a type of goodbye to family and friends.  And, I'll admit, that getting back into a routine has been difficult. I'm working on it.

I'm not settled and cannot claim a 'place of my own'.  I am grateful that the decision could be delayed for a time while investigating neighborhoods, distances, amenities and convenience.  Desperation had not reared it's head.

I'm also not settled in a church community.  But investigating this home has been quite an experience. Some of you have made suggestions as you were able - appreciated, truly!

I've been to well more than a dozen communities - so far.  .



One mass incorporated three languages in both word and song!  There were times when 'following along' was difficult, but the experience was inspiring.

A downtown Cincinnati church incorporated the very well dressed sharing pews with the homeless. We carried palms together as we processed into the building. Offering peace with those around me, I actually shook hands with every person there!

Another greeted me with city police directing traffic and a dozen people working the parking lot in sporting-event style. There had to be 2,000 people in attendance.  The message was brought to us with huge drop-down video screens, pyrotechnics, and rock-concert worship music.  I barely touched 3 people with the words 'peace be with you'.



The search is serious and there have been a couple of weekends where I felt a need to double-dip. Yes, I attended services at two different locations within the span of a few hours.


I have been welcomed warmly nearly everywhere.  I've been introduced to many people. I know their names - they know mine.  I sincerely want to go back to a lot of these communities!  Many could easily be called home. And yet, the search continues.

This brings up questions;
  • Am I looking for a certain type of atmosphere?
  • Am I looking for a certain type of music?
  • Am I looking for a certain mix of people groups?
  • Am I looking for large, small or something in between?
  • Am I looking for how a church interacts with it's community?
  • Am I looking for a certain type of preaching?
  • Am I looking for a convenient location?
  • Am I looking for  . . . (fill in the blank)
In the end, there's really only one question.

“Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?” Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”Matthew 22:36-40

Love God and love your neighbor.  As long as I come closer to living this out, I'll be home.



No comments: