Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Praying Hands



If you grew up in a Catholic grade school, you might remember what it was like to attend daily Mass.

Franciscan nuns made certain we were kneeling in formation-like rows exhibiting the traditional praying-hands posture.  Hundreds of us posed in exactly the same way, pew by pew, must have been a little bit impressive.

When I was 8, I doubt that I spent any time at all considering what it meant to hold my hands in this position.  I'm sure that I was more concerned that fingers were straight, pointing upward, hands tightly together with the thumbs crossed in the proper direction.  The nuns were watching!


I'm older now (much) and I've seen how others use their bodies to pray.  Some dance.  Some prostrate themselves.  Some close their eyes with lips moving in silent petition. There are many ways to worship.

I admit that for countless years, I continued to use the traditional praying hands posture.  Lately, however, I've become more comfortable with another position or two.

Philippians 4:6 says, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God."  Lately, that's been me!

In this light, I've found that when sleeping, I've used my hands during the night.  As I think of the things on my mind that bring anxiety, I've asked that I be protected by His grace.  I ask that the Spirit bring wisdom to my heart, mind and soul.  I ask for a few concrete things too.  I fold my hands, one fist covered by the palm and fingers of the other.  One palm protects the fist.  I'm only awake for a brief second, it seems, but the act is deliberate.

At other times, again while sleeping, I find myself asking that I learn to experience the peace that God provides when we trust Him completely.  I ask that I accept His will and His way in His time.  I ask that worry disappear.  In these moments, again my hands have taken form.  One palm  cradles the fist of the other and I once again, drift off to sleep.

I'm not sure how this happened exactly.  It wasn't like I sat down and purposefully designed the arrangement of digits and palms. There was no thought process.  There was no experimentation.  It just was.

But that's OK.  I sometimes think it's similar to lighting a votive candle or burning incense.  I am comforted with the idea that even while I sleep, prayer continues.

Thank you to Gabe and Taylor for volunteering to model with fists and palms.




No comments: