Friday, June 12, 2015

01010011 01100101 01110001 01110101 01100101 01101110 01100011 01100101


Those ones and zeros spell Sequence.  It's kind of fun!  Pick a word and try it!  Click here

A couple of years ago, I heard, read, or was in some way exposed to the idea of the"Word of the Year". It's much more than a New Year's Resolution.  It's a commitment to live more positively based on just one word.  Although I thought, "impossible" I gave it a shot. 

Last year, my word was Sequence. Listening to a lot of sermons, I found one that seemed to speak more loudly than others.  Knowing I have only two minutes of reading time here, I'll condense my comments as much as possible.

There were images and explanations of the differences between Psyche and Zoe (two Greek words for life) explaining how important it is to remember distinctions between the two especially as it relates to John 12:25. 

(Honestly, this verse always confused me.  If I hate my life I get to keep it forever? What!?)

Anyone who loves their life will lose it, while anyone 
who hates their life in this world will keep it for eternal life.

The speaker gave examples of clouds floating through the sky and waves riding on oceans to help visualize these distinctions.  All this is very impressive and memorable, no doubt. But the takeaway became my word of the year.  

Working to keep "life" distinct from the things "of life", something needs to happen.  Apparently, Zoe needs to come before the Psyche. In other words, God first. I get that last part. And that's where the title of this post comes in.

Putting a zero in front of a one doesn't change the value of either.  Putting a one in front of the zero changes everything.  It's a matter of "Sequence".

Exodus 20:3  Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

If I put the things 'n my life before the substance of my life, I'm making a tragic mistake.  If I put my job (in my life) before God (my life), I've put the zero first.  If I put my finances, friends, vacation plans, retirement plans, and the other things in my life first, there is no value gained.  But, if I put God first, before the zero, the value of both increases.  


A side note:

This year's word is "Trust".  I'm not doing so well with this word lately so it appears that I've regressed to last year's word.  Why that's a problem for me I just can't say.  When I think about it, trust is just another way of saying, "Put the ONE first!" 

P.S.
I could probably find the link to this sermon and send it to you if you'd like.  Just let me know.


No comments: