Sunday, March 24, 2024

Captured on Video

I grew up in an age where it was possible to hide. No video cameras recorded your every act and no GPS tracking devices broadcast your location. A simpler time, perhaps.

Although we’ve made a lot of noise about privacy, we have adjusted to the normalization of ‘visibility’ which has become very prevalent.

This week, I read an article describing one person’s experience with video surveillance. The highlights are briefly described in the bullet points below. The full article is here.

  • One camera begins a story, and police are called.
  • A second camera details another possible story leading the investigation in a different but disturbing direction. 
  • Finally, when the videos are compared side-by-side with audio, the truth is discovered.

The writer makes a couple of points about deciding what is true.

  • Being certain does not equate to being right. 
  • Neither does logic.
  • Searching for truth can take time. 
  • Adjustments and a willingness to be wrong are needed.

I read (and posted somewhere) about one type of bias. This one is called the Certainty Effect. This is defined as our bias toward believing confident speakers while dismissing those having doubts or disclaimers while making their arguments. I fear my adoption of this concept when listening to others talk. I am fearful of my adoption of this concept when speaking to others. These fears are useful as they keep me aware of what my brain might be doing.

Today, we are all cameras. We see and record what is in front of us. However, the conclusions we draw rarely reveal the complete story. Your camera might be telling a different story than mine. The results might be enlightening and surprising when bringing our ‘videos’ together with audio. Maybe this is our current version of an old parable: Three Blind Men Describe the Elephant.  

“The moral of the parable is that humans tend to claim absolute truth based on their limited, subjective experience as they ignore other people's limited, subjective experiences which may be equally true.” Wikipedia 

Co-Pilot AI Designer

Today is Palm Sunday and the beginning of Passion Week. I know that Jesus died on the cross for me and for you. I know that relationships suffer because of our individual camera effects as this is simply a metaphor for perspectives. I need to embrace the camera views of others in a loving, non-violent way. 

With this heart-filled knowledge, I hope to make this week more meaningful and life-changing this year. I will focus on greatly extending this season with an enormous infusion of perspective along with a great deal of patience and openness as I listen to others expressing views that are not my own. 

From today through Easter Sunday (as a sacred promise), I will refrain from reading and watching the news as much as possible. I know that what I’m allowing into my head is unhealthy. I know that the streams of videos I see and the volume of articles I read are taking up too much of my mind. The algorithms that are being used to deliver this content are promoting hopelessness in my life. 

It is now well past time to withdraw from the barrage of talking heads and their violent, people-degrading, and fear-mongering words that fill the airwaves. I will concentrate on resetting my opinions to reengage with others less confidently, allowing for safe-place conversations in the future.

This will take time spent with Jesus while I pray for the ability to be open with others, to listen to their stories, and to watch their videos with mine. 

Although I know how difficult this will be for the next week, I also know I will have the time to spend with Jesus remembering His sacrifice and the promise of hope He brings.

Hosanna, in the Highest.

No comments: