Sunday, November 12, 2023

A Snob Learns About Gratefulness

Several years ago, I was being considered for a position on the Board of Directors for a nonprofit organization serving children in a depressed area of the city. I was told to write a ‘short bio.”  (Well, good luck with THAT!)

Anyway, the results were tabulated, and I was elected. They took me in even though this sentence was part of the submitted ‘who I am’ document.

“Beyond the basics, you’ll find that I am a self-proclaimed coffee snob.  I prefer “discriminating consumer”, but accuracy demands the “s” word.  It’s not that I won’t drink “sawdust-in-a-cup” at times, but I may make every effort to convert those who regularly partake in this disturbing practice.  You’ve been warned.”

Well, that was then, this is now.

For years, I was blessed with an espresso machine. It was on the list of most appreciated gifts ever. But then, things happened, and I lost access to the home-brewed espresso equipment. The loss was tempered by the fact that the favored brew was still available in the office.

And then it happened:  Everyone started working from home.

I was forced to do a lot of experimenting. I still had the French Press. But since I had lost my conical grinder, it was more or less unusable. I found only one place that featured a do-it-yourself grinder that allowed me to set the style of my take-home ground beans when I bought them. 

And then it happened:  The store's grinder stopped working and the establishment had no intention of making repairs.

More experimenting followed and although I was completely in denial, and quite ashamed, I quietly whispered to the chosen few that there was instant coffee in my house. Yes, in my worldview, it was beneath me. In-house instant became a well-guarded secret. I even considered putting a lock on the cupboard door to prevent accidental discovery.

Moving back to the Midwest, I made the purchase of a new Gaggia Espresso Machine a full-on priority. Factually, this machine beat me to Iowa. When I arrived, I hugged the box. (This also should have remained a secret.) 

I’ve been enjoying finely ground Costa Rican coffee beans processed with just the right amount of crema every single day for almost a year. For this, I am grateful to a good and gracious God with a quick prayer every morning. 


Since Thanksgiving Day is soon to arrive, I thought I’d bring this up because my coffee saga has more to say about gratefulness.

The story above is true and quite understandable. I had the espresso. I lost the espresso. I regained the espresso. Of course, I’m grateful! This is none other than the well-known, “absence makes the heart grow fonder” story.

But quite unexpectedly, I have also laid down the arrogance expressed in the application letter mentioned above. I no longer feel it necessary to keep the ‘secret’. I learned that 36-50% (depending on which article) of the world enjoys instant coffee for a variety of reasons. And now, I am one of them as well. 

I understand and I am no longer judging those who can be delighted with a morning cup of instant. 

I have discovered a new kind of freedom. I am grateful (grateful, I say again) to have realized how freeing non-judgmentalism can be. Wearing the badge of my self-determined superior coffee palette was limiting, unwelcoming, and divisive. 

There is no longer shame while making attempts to protect and defend. There is only a humbling and embraced confession that I was wrong on so many levels. 


Maybe you’re thinking this was a ridiculous story today. I won’t deny the possibility. However, I am hoping that this ridiculousness can reveal a new wider path open to all that life has to offer. Maybe the bizarre can somehow be the catalyst for a new normal. Maybe without the curse of pride-based judgment, a new worldview can finally grow. 

When pride comes, then comes disgrace,
but with humility comes wisdom.  Proverbs 11:2

No comments: