Sunday, May 14, 2023

Moms Are Smart

The good news and the bad. 

  • Each year, we give thanks to and for the mothers of this world.
  • Each year we give thanks to and for the mothers of this world. But some of us, just on Mother’s Day.

We need to remember that "Mother" is a pretty big title. 

  • Mothers everywhere are pretty much the same. But not always.
  • Mothers are related to us. Except when they’re not.
  • Mothers are gentle and caring as they put our best interests ahead of their own. Usually.
  • Mothers have children. This includes those who do not and those who need to look to heaven to find them.
  • Mothers are smart with some having eyes in the back of their heads. Most of them are smarter than we are!

 

My mom was smart.  She didn’t need a degree. She didn’t need a huge, important job because, in her mind, she had one. As she raised the five of us, she heard and lived the verses found in 1 Corinthians.

“Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres." 

“Do everything in love.”

I know that we usually associate this scripture with wedding ceremonies, but I think my mom took these with her wherever she went. We witnessed her love and commitment to us every day. Yes, she was smart.

So, when the passing of gifts rolled around one Christmas Day, she presented (maybe to all the kids, but certainly to me) - ready? 

Ta-da!

MINI brooms and dustpans!

I can hear the "cheers of wow" as you experience what I did. Well, what I experienced was more, “What the . . . ?”

I know she saw the look on my face because she grinned and calmly said, “Well, I think these things are great!” Under my breath, without disturbing my fixed plastic smile, I silently questioned, “OK. But what the heck am I supposed to do with this thing?”


Now that was probably 50 years ago. I’ve moved several times since then. And just so you know, my mini dustpan and broom have made each trip with me.  As it turns out, I use it ALL the time. And each time I do, I remember that day.  You see, she wasn't just smart when teaching me how to treat others on the playground and at work. In every moment, without me even being aware, her wisdom whispered to me, “This will be useful to you, Mike.  I love you.”

Happy Mother's Day.to every type of mom out there!

And Happy Mother's Day, Mom. 
I love you,

No comments: