Sunday, April 23, 2023

But Even If

So, I was deep in petitions the other day. The pain was real, and the cost would be significant should things not turn out positively. 

While lying helplessly, I thoughtfully examined everything that was going on around me. For a second, it sounded good, but a moment later, maybe not.

Again, positive vibes, and quite literally, I forcefully prohibited my eyes from leaking.

When it was over, I was given a review along with the next steps. The work done was temporary but successful – so it was thought.  The truth will become clear in the coming days.

But I remembered.

The relief, the joy, and the overwhelming feeling that I had been delivered did not abate in the slightest.  Gratefulness ruled.

I remembered a story about 3 guys in a furnace. (I always liked that story). It’s found in Daniel 3.

“Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego replied to him, “King Nebuchadnezzar, we do not need to defend ourselves before you in this matter.  If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to deliver us from it, and he will deliver us from Your Majesty’s hand. But even if he does not, we want you to know, Your Majesty, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up.”

These guys were delivered – that’s the happy ending. 

My answer was still a maybe, but the immediate outcome had delivered me. Yes, I liked the furnace story, but I didn’t fully grasp the whole point. I heard them say, “Even if he does not…”, but the words swiftly moved through consciousness because it no longer mattered. They had been delivered. 

I was joyful in the experience of an answered prayer, but the possibility remained that it might not be “His final answer.” 

And then, maybe for the very first time, I realized what the boys of the furnace meant when they accepted that God is certainly able, but sometimes, the answer is no.

I remembered my joy and gratefulness. This was my reaction to the thought that He did answer this prayer. And yet, after the discussions, there was a good chance that things could go downhill.  

But it didn’t matter. I felt His closeness.  I felt His will for healing. I experienced and recognized His will on earth as it is in Heaven. 

I am blessed with the knowledge that I understand and can now say, “Even if He does not…”



 

No comments: