Sunday, January 8, 2023

Mary Oliver Poems. Day 1 of 3

"I don’t even want to come in out of the rain." Mary Oliver

Not so very long ago, I was given an exercise. I didn't want to do this one. I don't like poetry. But the commitment was already made without knowing the challenge, so obligation was in play.

This 'painful' task meant that I was to read three poems by Mary Oliver. I was not familiar with her work. Not only that, but I was to read them more than once and try to understand what she was saying - at least, to me. So then, the task wasn't to read at all.  The task was to 'listen' to the poet. Good luck, Mike!

So today, I thought I'd lay this proposition on you as well. For the next three days, you will receive a link to each of these poems. There's no test and term papers will not be required. It is the same request I received: Read, consider, internalize, and understand.

I find it interesting that the last line of each of these publications seemed to hit me hard. If you so desire, let me know what you think.

Click here to read, Black Oaks by Mary Oliver

Job 12:7-10

“But ask the beasts, and they will teach you;
    the birds of the heavens, and they will tell you;
or the bushes of the earth, and they will teach you;[a]
    and the fish of the sea will declare to you.
Who among all these does not know
    that the hand of the Lord has done this?
In his hand is the life of every living thing
    and the breath of all mankind."

 Canticle of the Sun, Marty Haugen

No comments: