Sunday, October 16, 2022

Wake-up Alarm

 I have two separate morning alarms.

  1. The routine, it’s-time-to-get-out-of-bed notice.
  2. The you-blew-it-and-now-you-are-going-to-be-running-behind-all-day warning.

I’ve been aware that the first has a large, screen-centered, and very orange snooze button. I’ve also been aware that the second has a small white button at the bottom of the screen for the same function.

I have been thinking how odd this is given that Apple is usually so good with the user interfaces on their devices. I just figured they should be consistent but, since I only see this with blurred vision and a wish that I could remain warm and sleepy for a while, all I could do was shake my head and move on.

After months of sporadic questioning and cerebral berating of Apple's quality control, I realized that any shaking of heads should be directed toward me. Yes, the user interface is exactly what it should be – the buttons are an exact match.

I don’t think that my conviction can be appropriately explained other than to say that it is not unusual for me to make use of the snooze feature on the first alarm, but as I am normally well into the day before the screeching of the second, I just turn it off. 

If I had mentioned this to someone, I would have argued fervently that I was right and as proof, I would have insisted that we put this 'theory' to the test.

I would have been completely embarrassed. 

You are probably curious. Given that I had avoided the mortifying plight, why reveal it now - in print, no less?

Well, to make a point – or two.

  1. My reliance on personal rightness is not always well, right. My mind was experientially convinced but when faced with empirical evidence, I bowed to its rightness while slapping my forehead in repentance. As this happened to me, however, it has become easier to understand that we are not always rational. (Thank you, God, for teaching me a little humility - once again.) When in discussions with others, I need to realize that some conversations will be based entirely on emotional experiences which can create firm convictions in the minds of people. I also need to realize that empirical evidence will sometimes be rejected. 
  2. And that helps explain how to deal with these always-close-by heartaches when it comes to spiritual matters. If I can understand it, I can work on reconciling these difficulties with others. 

Perhaps all of this is somewhat opaque, so let me give a couple of examples.

Today’s culture is often described as polarized. Two camps. One is good and one is evil by our own definitions. But no matter which camp we adopt, it will always be the good one.

The heartaches come with the realization that although we all know that our sins have been forgiven not through our own works but through the grace of God, we seem to relish our positions in two opposing camps. We judge. We point fingers. We shake our heads at the ignorance of others. We shout derogatory names, we belittle, we disparage, we tear down, and we blame. We do these things broadly while yet proclaiming confidently that we are in the good camp.

We create these camps. We affiliate, we get comfortable, and we revel in like-minded companionship. 

But these are not the real camps. These are not the real affiliations. These are not the real places to grow comfortable.

I believe that there are two camps, and we have names for them.

  1. The Kingdom of the World.
  2. The Kingdom of Heaven.

In my internal view, I see Jesus as He welcomes all people, all groups of people, and all sinners. To me, I think I should welcome with open arms, all people, all groups of people, and all sinners “of whom I am the worst.” (1 Timothy 1:15).

In my external view, I see little of this lifestyle around me. 

In my internal view, I see Jesus as He heals bodies, souls, and relationships.  Too, I think I should work to heal relationships, bodies, and souls. (Mathew 5: 21-24).

In my external view, I see little of this lifestyle around me.


Believing that these two camps are radically different, this is not a time to hit the snooze button. I need to pay close attention to the warning alarm. 

In everything I do, say, and think I must begin by asking, 
"Which Kingdom do I want to be part of?"


I was thinking that this article wasn't very uplifting. I was having second thoughts. Maybe I should save this one for another day and consider starting over with something else. 

But, through my PC speakers, I heard the words quoted below. It was now easier to see my way to hitting "publish."

"The Song of God, the song of justice and peace and love: We are not here yet, but: 

"I think I hear a whisper of God's song when I see an act of humility. I think I hear a murmur of God's song when I apologize for an unconscious mistake. I think I hear a sigh of God's song when I see a wrong made right. I think I feel some resonance with God's song when I see an act of generosity. I think I hear the undertones of God's song when I confess my complicity in injustice. I think I hear the hum of God's song when I educate myself to change. I think I see a hint of God's song when I see an act of kindness and I think I see an echo of God's song when I see accountability fostering healing and reconciliation. I think I hear the hushed tones of God's song when I see Jesus' people being Jesus-people." (Monica Miller)


No comments: