Sunday, September 5, 2021

About Anger. About Gratitude. And About Subscribing, too.

One quote.

“When we recognize our unsurprising fallenness and keep our eyes joyfully open for the glorious exceptions, we’re much less offendable.  Why?  Because that’s the thing about gratitude and anger.  They can’t coexist. It’s one or the other.

One drains the very life from you.  The other fills your life with wonder.

Choose Wisely.”

And another. 

"A simple substitute might change a habit.

  • Instead of a snack, brush your teeth.
  • Instead of a nap, go for a walk.
  • Instead of a nasty tweet or cutting remark, write it down in a private notebook.
  • Instead of the elevator, take the stairs.
  • Instead of doom-scrolling, send someone a nice note.
  • Instead of an angry email, make a phone call.
  • Instead of a purchase seeking joy, consider a donation…"

They are not the same.
But they are complimentary.

The second quote was discovered in today's inbox. You can read it for yourself at Seth Godin: Instead.

The first quote was not discovered today. This one grabbed my attention two weeks ago as I was reading Brant Hansen's, Unoffendable - How Just One Change Can Make All of Life Better.

From Brant Hansen's presentation
He says the world is like this.
Are we?
Used without permission . . .

Todays' musings originated while listening to Brant Hansen speak.  He is a lively, entertaining, and smart radio personality and author. He also happens to have Asperger Syndrome. 

"Sandals and a Stick" articles frequently (lately, anyway) center around relationships and well, basically just getting along. I guess this topic has become one of those I-just-don't-get-it things.  And to be clear, I am only talking about me.  I do, however, think it might apply to most of us.

Combining the quotes above, I see the beginnings of understanding along with the ability to take simple actions to improve my relationships.

I need to first understand where anger comes from, why it tries to move in, and how to get rid of it. If I subscribe to 'living in Christ', I am not allowed to let anger live in my heart, my mind, my soul, or anywhere else. "Father, forgive my sins as I forgive others."  Ring a bell?

Additionally, I need quick mantras that can help with behavior modifications. Thank you, Mr. Seth Godin!


And now, it's time to share. 

I will now direct you to a page link on this site that talks about a free book and signing up to receive "Sandals and a Stick" articles.  You should click here!  This link can be shared with co-workers and group members, Facebook and Twitter followers, family, friends, and even enemies!

As the "Sandals and a Stick" community grows, a new website will be introduced.  There will be a gallery for inspired photos (yours and mine). There might be a storefront and perhaps an online book club. There could be a paid subscription series with names like "I Was There".

There will be 'Calls to Action" to promote unity, community, and support for others.  These will take names like, "Groups of 10", "Everybody Deserves", and "Front Porch". 

One more quote from Mr. Hansen says,

"It turns out giving up your “right” to be offended can be one of the most freeing, healthy, simplifying, relaxing, refreshing, stress-relieving, encouraging things you can do.

It’s a radical, provocative idea: We’re not entitled to get offended or stay angry. The idea of our own “righteous anger” is a myth. It is the number one problem in our societies today and, as Dallas Willard says, Christians have not been taught out of it. But what if Christians were the most "unoffendable "people on the planet?"


PS.

You, my friends, are getting this post because you have subscribed and are already faithful readers.  All I need from you is an address and I will send your book immediately!  By the way, the email address has changed to:

mike (at) sandalsandastick (dot) com.



No comments: