Sunday, February 21, 2021

Children Learn and Children Teach

My mother LOVED Art Linkletter.  

Many of you have no recollection of this television personality, but Art Linkletter's House Party was not to be missed in our household. Reading about it today, I understand the popularity of this program.  

The only thing that I remember is the segment called, "Kids Say the Darndest Things".  Mr. Linkletter would walk around with his microphone asking questions of his young interviewees.  He allowed complete freedom to answer as they saw fit.  YouTube has a few original video recordings of Art and the kids if you care to watch.  I spent a few minutes with this one. 

(There was a cultural innocence when I grew up.  I miss that. Give me one second while I close my eyes and reminisce).

A quick jump forward about 30 years and the following poem also took up residence in the Taylor household. I remember frequent references to this writing and it might even have spent time hanging on our living-room wall.  

Art provided insight into the mind of a child creating audience reactions ranging from belly-laughs to tears. Robert provides simple pragmatic advice given to children for living a good life. 

Our world seems to be a dark place. Let us not forget the lessons given to us by previous generations. Relief might be found by getting back to the basics while finding time for wholesome laughter. As we guide our kids, we should first and foremost be their example.

**

All I Really Need To Know I Learned In Kindergarten
by Robert Fulghum (1988)

"Most of what I really need
To know about how to live
And what to do and how to be
I learned in kindergarten.
Wisdom was not at the top
Of the graduate school mountain,
But there in the sandpile at Sunday school.

These are the things I learned:

Share everything.
Play fair.
Don't hit people.
Put things back where you found them.
Clean up your own mess.
Don't take things that aren't yours.
Say you're sorry when you hurt somebody.
Wash your hands before you eat.
Flush.
Warm cookies and cold milk are good for you.
Live a balanced life -
Learn some and think some
And draw and paint and sing and dance
And play and work every day some.
Take a nap every afternoon.
When you go out into the world,
Watch out for traffic,
Hold hands and stick together.
Be aware of wonder."


In some of the research time spent clicking on articles and references, I came across a sermon quote that fits well here. If you'd like to read the entire message, click "The Praise Of Children",
. . . “From the lips of children and infants, You have ordained praise” (Ps 8:2). Children praise without hesitation. We could have a closer walk with God if we’d be willing to be childlike in our devotion to God. Our problem is, we confuse “childlike” with “childish”. To the Corinthian church, Paul says to put aside childish things (13:11), but not to lose a childlike faith. God wants our mature mind and childlike heart to be led by His Spirit."

I think now would be a good time to frame this poem for my wall.

No comments: