Sunday, January 31, 2021

Colors of Life

I like to watch movies once in a while. Sometimes, I watch them more than once. Maybe you've done that too.

When watching a movie or reading a book for the second time, we are frequently confronted with new thoughts and impressions.  Depending on mood or circumstance, it seems that we analyze the same images and words in a different light. 

The motion picture Fast Color brought new insights to me this past week. 


Lionsgate Poster

I wasn't going to bring this to anybody's attention.  But the concept of this article would not allow rest. 

Although this film is classified in the genre of 'Superhero Sci-Fi, I noticed that nearly every review mentioned that this presentation subdues the supernatural concept in favor of some significant issues like race, power, generosity, consideration, and relationships.  

I'll leave it to you to research these things.  I thoroughly enjoyed the film but apparently only superficially as I found that exploring reviews was an engaging and enlightening exercise.

I will offer a suggestion to watch before reading reviews. I also wish not to spoil anything for you today, so I will keep the storyline basic.

As it begins, we are placed within a near-future timeframe. Water is scarce and is even considered a form of currency.  We are introduced to Ruth (Gugu Mbatha-Raw) as she makes her way back to the home of her mother and daughter.  Ruth is being tracked by those who have discovered her unusual abilities.  They wish to apprehend her for their experiments.

Ruth's mother and daughter have variations of these abilities.  But as they 'perform', colors are revealed.  Ruth has never seen these colors and she feels deprived of something so beautiful.

When Ruth finally learns to control her power, my mind begins to travel down the rabbit-hole.  Supernatural control does two things for Ruth's character.  She is no longer a danger to her family, and the vibrant colors are finally revealed to her.

I uploaded this 30-second clip to YouTube so you can see Ruth's exhilaration as these colors swirl around her. 

Note: The clip falls under copyright as it comes directly from the Lionsgate movie itself.  I was warned that it might not be viewable on mobile devices.  I don't think I've broken any laws here.  If I find this not to be true, I hope to have access to a computer so that I can continue writing from jail.  (I also hope I'm kidding!)

My detour from movie to brain involves the idea of heaven.  We don't know what it will be like but once in a while, I feel an impression or glimpse of something (see A Sign of the Times) which might offer a brief moment of understanding.

I would guess most of us want to see the colors.  It wasn't so long ago that I was reading daily news articles as predictions were made regarding how far south the Aurora Borealis might dip hoping that Cincinnati would possibly make the cut.  It did not. 

We aren't ever going to know what heaven might be like. We can't just solve some supernatural problem and see colors.  But that doesn't necessarily mean, "No fast colors for me!"

I can certify that the colors are available to all of us - right now.

Thanksgiving Day, 2020.  Covid-19 prevents many from gathering with family.  I had decided that a take-out turkey dinner would be an excellent way to celebrate.  On my way, I decided to fill the gas tank.  I pulled up and began the process.  On the other side of the tanks, an elderly woman also pulled in.  She opened her door and I saw the cane as she attempted to pull it from the passenger side to assist her in getting out of the vehicle.  

It didn't seem right that she should have to go through all this work so I asked if she'd let me pump her gas so she could stay in the car.  As long as I was at it, I used my debit card as well. She looked quite amazed and said, "I've heard of this happening to people.  I never thought it would happen to me!" I wished her Happy Thanksgiving and saw wet eyes.  I also saw the color of kindness and found it every bit as extravagant as what Ruth experienced in the video clip.

I really don't like sharing things like this because it is not meant to be a 'pat on the back' story.  It's told so that you will know how the colors work here on earth.  The Aurora Borealis might be out of reach.  Solving a supernatural control problem is not going to magically create an extravaganza.  But we can control whether we and those we serve will see these colors.

I am convinced that the fast colors on earth are those created by us as we serve others.  I believe that these colors on earth are not seen with eyes but are deeply felt when our hearts expand in love. I propose that these heart-explosions are more vivid than the colors we desire.

And that might just be the colors of heaven showing up here and now. 




Inspiration is searchable if you're interested.  There are hundreds of videos that capture the spirit of compassion and giving.  And, in case you're looking to be touched by heart-warming stories, you can usually count on Steve Hartman's On the Road Again.  


No comments: