Sunday, July 19, 2020

I Found My Way to You


It’s not healthy.  Well, it’s not healthy for me.

I’m talking about social media.  I’m talking about what it’s done to me - to us.  Division, strife, and polarization are continually created through bitter arguments between people who love each other and between people who have never met each other.  

The only goal is to state our unequivocally right opinions so that we can incite.  We enjoy confrontation.  We seem to get some kind of life from arrogant displays of outrageous.  We have concluded and promoted ‘all-things-for-me-and-mine’ while leaving a concept known as ‘for the good of all’ dying in the dust of the road.  We serve only ourselves while exercising ‘I-am-right’ power using keyboards to browbeat dissenters.

We ‘like’ and ‘share’ divisiveness because silo is more important than people.

A system that was originally promoted for the exciting potential of learning by reaching new global connections has become a system of me-and-my-tribe to prove that we are more right, more opinion-connected, more exclusionary than ever before.  

I heard a sermon the other day.  The question was asked, “What would YOU look like if YOU were Jesus?”   That was the question from the pulpit.  My internal questions followed. 

What would my social media status look like?  Would my input seek to serve others?  Would my words be welcoming and soothing to friends, family, and potential connections?  Would my postings, shares, and likes seek to build others up or would their existence simply judge?  

Would the power of my articles yield clubs or would they wash feet?  

The point was made that we become what we post.  When we use social media to divide, we become divisive thereby losing our ability to influence others.  When we purposefully incite and anger whole groups of people, how then can we be a light to the world?  If we fail to show the love of God to others, why would they believe we follow a God who loves?  What would encourage them to seek the Light we are to emulate?

This song is from the television show, This is Us.  Of course, it was written as a love song between two main characters and works well for that.  It would also benefit us as we seek a loving unity with friends, family, and strangers.  

Certainly a secular piece, it nevertheless touched me in some way as I search for God amid chaos. Maybe it will do the same for you.


Can one wrong turn give me a new direction?  
Can one false move bring me, one true friend?  
Could a stranger ever end up being You?

… Is there a message, a pathway to something more?
I found my way to You.  

I told a story before I knew the ending
I got an answer before I knew the question. 
How did a stranger ever end up being You?

I found my way to you . . . And this I pray.

No comments: