Sunday, July 26, 2020

Effort Required


I elected to use a less controversial headline knowing that including the word “mask” would trigger preconceived emotions that would determine 'read-this' or 'immediately discard'.

Please know that this writing ignores the politics of face-coverings - completely.  Although this article discusses wearing a mask, it is incidental to the goal of unity and solidarity with others. 

As many states have mandated the use of PPE, you might find that whether or not you want to accessorize by cloaking nose, mouth, and chin, you’ll eventually be faced (pun intended) with an adornment-required situation, if only for a few moments.

Let’s pretend.  Those little strings are tightly bound around your ears. You might be very comfortable with your cheek-curtain or you might be thinking, "This is the longest 10 minutes of my life." 

In this situation, there are consequences common to us all.
  • Smiling seems ridiculously pointless.
  • It’s difficult to evidence truly welcoming greetings.  
  • Speaking louder does not condone an appearance of friendly conversation.
  • And just how many times can one say, "What? I'm sorry, I didn't hear you."
As speech accounts for only 7 percent of our communications, what are we losing during our public interactions today?  This question must be followed closely by, "What can we do about it?"

Well, I have an idea or two.

It might be that offering the ‘elbow-bump’ rather than the common handshake, will work. Personally, I find that just a bit too weird, though.  

I have found that a simple bow is sometimes a very effective means to convey respect for another as we begin to talk.  Hopefully, they will then look to my eyes for some reflection indicating a smile. Hopefully, I'll see the same in their eyes!

I have also discovered other ways of being more intentional about my desire for good connections.

Around this part of the country, if you want a good quality, expressive shirt, you look to Cincy Shirts. A couple of months ago, I purchased the red t-shirt pictured below.  

I began wearing this when I was out in public.  People reacted.  Mostly, I find small indications of smiles in the eyes of others looking over the constriction of their own mask.  Some comment using very positive words. (I'm just going to assume that because, well, I couldn't hear them very well.)

But, sometimes, I see disdain or expressive disgust when I pass by.  THAT made me stop and think in a very powerful way.  Ponder that for a moment.  If people dislike me that much for simply wearing a shirt, what is it like for those who draw this scorn every day because of the color of their skin?  

Anyway, worth exploring but that’s a discussion for another day.

My point is that we need to be proactive in our engagement with others. A deliberate effort is required. Using clothing to replace speech is done all the time.  Do you wear a favorite NFL-approved jersey to show your support and love for the local sports heroes? The same system can be used to support and love our neighbors.

So here’s a proposal.  

One-Cincy

Pictured are 3 Cincy-Shirt options for you.  A portion of the proceeds from each shirt in this ONE CINCY collection benefits the  OTR Chamber Small Business Relief Fund (Over-The-Rhine is a downtown Cincinnati Community). Although a color choice is unavailable, shirts can be ordered in the following unisex sizes; S, M, L, XL, 2XL, 3XL, 4XL.

The FIRST FIVE people that respond by writing a comment in this blog-posting will receive a free shirt which will be shipped at no cost.  Other than your name, you are discouraged from including any personal information in the comments.  Once you post your comment, send an email to mike@responsiblereferrals.com with your full name and address along with your shirt and size choice.  

What kind of comments?  I’m hoping that you’ll tell us about the kinds of things that have touched you deeply in a way that honors others during this Covid-19 era.  I’m hoping you’ll consider letting us know the reason for the shirt you are choosing whether it be "Heart-Hands", "We Greater than Me", or "Be Better to Each Other".   


Micah 6:8
He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. 
And what does the LORD require of you? 
To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God . . .
while wearing Cincy-Shirts clothing that speaks to 
unity and love for your neighbors. 
(Ok, There were no silk-screening vendors in 750 B.C.  
But if they existed, Micah would have said this!)


A couple of housekeeping things: 

I have a coupon that I'd like to use, 
but it expires on 
August 1st - just a few days from now.  
Order quickly, please.  

And, if you miss the opportunity for the free shirt, 
the website is listed while you consider buying one on your own.


No comments: