Sunday, January 19, 2020

Peacefulness


I’ve always thought windmills are beautiful. These mammoth towers are planted in fields, on hills and even in oceans.  When I was in Minnesota, I made a pilgrimage to a wind-farm in-progress.  A delivery had been made and I was able to get pretty close to one of the rotor blades lying supine on the field.  I had no idea how big they actually are!

There’s something about the peacefulness I see when driving by one of these farms.  There’s something about the heaven-reaching white pillars with agonizingly slow blades turning against the robin-blue backdrop of the sky.  From the road, they just look like, well life at rest in a way.

If you search Google for 'windmills', it takes less than a second to reveal 108 million results including pictures and opinions of all types.  Like any topic today, some of us promote favor and some strenuously object.


Windmills create jobs.  They are a clean energy source.  The energy is sustainable and unlimited.  But, they also kill birds.  Some think they tragically interfere with the beauty of nature.  Others question cost to energy-produced ratios.  And, people that live nearby these pillars are disturbed by lights and noise pollution.

Today, however, debate of issues is not on the table.  Today, I’m just noticing the feelings and thoughts that occur when I notice these 300 foot poles growing out of the earth.

Earlier I described, “heaven-reaching white pillars with agonizingly slow blades turning against the robin-blue backdrop of the sky”.   These blades seem to be in no hurry whatsoever.  They just go about their job in a dramatically determined but supremely elegant manner.  They do not get weary as they dance in place with hypnotic motion.  Mesmerizing is a good word for it, I think.

Watching them, I sense power.  There is a presence, a taming-of-nature kind of power; Single-minded propellers harnessing the wind without distraction.

I wonder about this kind of power.  I wonder how it compares to the power of God.  I wonder about the prayers that He hears from weakened human hearts as we lay our petitions before Him.  We might have difficulty seeing answers to our requests, but the rotor-blades of His love continue to move in laser focused efforts to prove His grace is enough.

I will try to keep the analogy in mind when I’m stressed.  I will try to find the peace of God that is evidenced through the rotating blades of man-made windmills.

But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” 2 Corinthians 12:9

No comments: