Sunday, December 22, 2019

Disjointed Thoughts Coming Together


Breath

I must first provide apologies to my Minnesota friends.  A deep freeze is not something that comes frequently to my current location.  So, the other day, when walking into the office at temperatures in the low teens (the reason for the apology), I could see my breath.  This warm-meets-cold vapor preceded me in its opaque form.

This was not something new to me, but since it is a rare occurrence here, it was noticeable and it reminded me that every breath I take is a gift.  Apparently, it helps to be able to experience things for which we should be grateful.

Pronunciation



Today I heard a word pronounced a bit differently than I was accustomed to.  How do you say the word, “Scarcity”?

A familiar word, this.  But today’s experience informed me that as I say and hear it spoken, I had never really heard it.

I typically pronounce this word like, “scare city”.

The new pronunciation was, “scar city”.

The Webster’s definition didn’t change but my experience of the word did. The concept behind the term refers to something rare and not easily obtainable.  But when hearing it spoken in an unfamiliar way, I noticed nuances created in both the speakers’ pronunciation and in my own.

Those who truly experience the dictionary definition in daily life know the meaning well.  But I imagine that they also experience the word in both articulations.  They live frightened by lack.  When will we eat again?  Where will we sleep tonight?  Yes, scared - ALL the time.

And, life lived in scarcity can’t help but produce scars. People might wonder how much this lack has impacted the future of their children.  Have they been unimaginably harmed? Has lack demanded decisions made out of fear which prevented movement toward a more fulfilling life for their families?

Note: By the way, apparently both pronunciations are incorrect in favor of ‘skersədē’.  Who knew? But, of course, I’m not going to let that stand in my way.

Christmas

We are here, now.  The rush of shopping and celebration is upon us, and within a few days, will be over.

  • Maybe we can continue our celebrations with a dedication to awareness.  
  • Maybe this will allow us to fully experience the breath brought to us anew in the birth of a child 2,000 years ago.  
  • Maybe we can even bring this celebrated event together with our own mundane, often used words and actions so as to encourage rare enlightenment seeking to reveal opportunities for service to others.  


He was born out of love not just for a few but for EVERY one, each a child of God.

Awareness and Every One

Merry Christmas 


No comments: