Sunday, August 25, 2019

A Great Parking Space


I was in a hurry.  It happens all the time – rushing here and there without enough time to get everything done. But it has always struck me as weird that the more I rush, the more obstacles I seem to face.  Maybe it just happens to me or maybe it happens to everybody:

  • Running out of time, you turn the corner and find a road-block.  Yes sometimes actual road closures, detours or stand-still traffic.  
  • You’re stopped by one red light after another after another.  Can I get a break here!!?
  • You choose a checkout lane because there is one person in front of you and she has only a few items. Well, it turns out that she’s got coupons but some are expired, she demands that the clerk call some department or another because one of those items was supposed to be on sale and of course, she doesn’t have enough cash but can’t get the credit card terminal to work.   
  • The never-stops-talking-neighbor decides that this is a good time to discuss something serious.  
  • The boss decides that even though it’s the end of the day, this would be a good time for a ‘quick’ meeting.  



I know it isn’t the case that there are more impediments to progress during these times.  It's simply the fact that barriers are noticed more when I feel pressure.

Today, I had only a few moments but look at that!  A parking space right smack-dab in front of the door opened up just as I pulled into a full lot.  That NEVER happens! Under my breath, I uttered, ‘thanks’!

Now here’s the thing.

  • Do I really believe that God knew I was pressed for time and opened up that space just for me?  
  • Do I really believe that when I needed that particular brand of cereal, the will of God put it on sale and I saved a dollar?  
  • Do I really believe that the Creator of wind and rain stopped the deluge at the very moment that I needed to walk a block to my car?  

Well, I have to be honest.  I believe that God is active in our lives.  I believe that He loves us and wants good things for us.  I believe miracles happen for the good of the Kingdom of God.  But, I don’t really think that the hand of almighty God opened that parking space or put the cereal on sale or stopped the rain so I wouldn’t get wet. 

At the same time, is it wrong for me to whisper ‘thanks’ when these things happen?

I don’t think He minds at all…

Instead, be filled with the Spirit, speaking to one another with psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit. Sing and make music from your heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.   Ephesians 5: 19-20

No comments: