Sunday, March 3, 2019

Until There's No Me Left...

It's time!  It's here!!

I won't be in New Orleans for Fat Tuesday - probably ever.  Who needs to be reminded that I live in Fat Tuesday.  Evidence abounds.

But Lent follows this day of excess and so it's time to be serious. 

Isaiah 40 tells us to prepare a way for the Lord.  I started out listening to the Michael Joncas worship song,  A Voice Cries Out.  I like when I can center one of these talks around music.  It seems to speak to my soul.  I was headed in that direction.

But then, something else got my attention.  There will be lots of Lenten messages today.  Preparation for Easter takes many forms.  Some give up things like chocolate, liquor, eating in restaurants and general fasting.  Some are more called to volunteer.  Some focus on praying or reading the bible or any number of other spiritual disciplines.

But I kept thinking, "Spoken Word".

Amena Brown is a spectacular artist.  When volunteering, I was hoping to make arrangements to bring her to Cincinnati for a fundraiser.  Sadly, it did not work out for so very many reasons.  But I spent a good deal of time on her YouTube channel. I ended up with a lot of 'favorite videos'.

This one spoke to me today.  I think it will be my focus for lent this year.  

 


No comments: