Sunday, February 10, 2019

Many Rooms

At a number of Sunday mornings over the many years I've been around, I've heard about Ancient Near East wedding customs.  I've heard that Jesus compared bridegroom/bride relationships to God/Church relationships.  But perhaps I wasn't paying attention as much as I should have been.

I know about the patriarchal society in biblical times.  I know that marriage was arranged and that consideration was given.  I've heard the stories.  I did not know everything, though.

I did not know that at a betrothal, the potential bride was given a cup of wine.  Drinking the wine was her acceptance of the arrangement.  She could, however, refuse the cup!



I knew that once the arrangement was complete and accepted, the couple was by law, considered married and dissolution required divorce.

I knew that the bride stayed home while the groom built a house.  I knew that when construction was complete according to the father, the consummation of the marriage took place.

I did not know that in many instances, the 'house' was simply a room or two added to the house of the groom's father.

And this made everything click.

Today I was told that when the cup is accepted, the  new 'husband' gives a prepared speech.  He says:
"My father's house has many rooms.  If that were not so, why would I tell you that I am going there to prepare a place for you?  And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you there to be with me that you also may be where I am.  And you know the way to the place where I am going."
After spending a great deal of time researching, I was unable to verify the claim made regarding this speech. True or not, I will choose to believe that it might be true because it seems extraordinary to me that these words were spoken by Jesus to the disciples in John 14:1-4.

David Haas published a piece called Do Not Let Your Hearts be Troubled that immediately started playing in my head.  If you like, you can listen here.  You can read the full text here.  Sometimes, this work is used at funerals.  If it's not already, maybe it would be good to use this piece in celebration of love as well.

At any given time, we are all in different places with relationships.  Maybe you've started dating recently, maybe it's been years.  Maybe you're newly married, maybe it's been years.  Maybe you're new to single life, maybe it's been years. In each case, you have choices when it comes to these relationships.

Jesus also presents a choice.  A cup of wine has been offered to all.  I'm ready to accept.




 Happy Valentine's Day.

No comments: