Sunday, November 25, 2018

But Only God Can Make a Tree

Before I begin, last week's article was about winter and how my seasonal perceptions are affected by geography.  Shortly after hitting the publish button, I made a quick trip to the grocery store. Next time, I might wait a while since I was obviously still tuned-in to the stories told.

As I checked out at the service desk, there was a basket of free key fobs.   I convinced myself that these little buggers were Cincinnati’s answer to a quick window-scraper for the car.  So tiny and somewhat convenient, I was a bit impressed while simultaneously laughing at how ridiculous it would look to see someone using one.

Well, it LOOKS like a window scraper - right?

Yes, I took one. Yes, I had planned to try it one of these days too.  Granted, I would be quite alone while doing so since I am aware that YouTube exploits everything!

As it turns out, these things are not used for car windshields.  The clerk was kind but totally confused when I asked about them.  Certainly embarrassed, I only wonder how deep the shade of red became as she told me they are designed for scraping (got that part right) lottery tickets.

As quirky as that is, it does get me back to a point.  It's quite common to bring some bias into just about everything.  Our experiences can and will color our reactions, perceptions and decisions.  It’s something for which I need to be careful.

While walking through Winton Woods Park in Cincinnati just a couple of weeks ago, trees seemed to be a focus.  My photo skills leave much to be desired, but the park was wrapped in a full range of color.  I seem to remember that the Minnesota fall colors were either on or off.  Colors were either in full glory or done, finished – dead brown.  You caught a good day leaf watching or it was over.

Maybe it’s the geographic location again, or maybe it was just chance but gazing at fall colors during this excursion proved to be a mixed-bag.  Some were brilliantly glowing, some were losing leaves, some experiencing slow death and some seemed to delight in varying degrees of life stages.

I admit to seeing God frequently in nature and I am grateful.  But, sometimes it goes beyond creation.  It conjures up comparisons.



I enjoyed the variations of species along with the differences in colors.  Then, I wondered what it might be like (your Kingdom come) if we were able to live alongside so many variations of people.




  • We would thrive interspersed with different races, languages, cultures and stages of life.  
  • We would delight in the differences.  We’d recognize each as having unsurpassable worth as children of God. 
  • We would help those needing help and be helped by others when we fall. 
  • We would comfort those in distress knowing someone would always be there when we are crushed.  
  • We would concentrate on building connections of unity instead of walls of differences.

Is it ridiculous to have these thoughts?  Is it downright stupid? Perhaps you’ve answered yes to those questions.  That is completely understandable in this world of ours.

  • A world that says, “Take care of number one.”  
  • A world that says, “Those people are not like us – be afraid of them! 
  • A world that says, “Lock them out.”

Then again, perhaps we’re tasked with leaving worldly bias behind as we walk with Christ.

  • I remember hearing about loving enemies.  
  • I remember hearing about feeding the poor.  
  • I remember hearing that what you do for them, you do for Me.  
  • I remember hearing that only God can make a tree. 
  • Maybe we’re supposed to remember that only God can make you and me – and them!  


***
Note:
As a child in grade school, memorization was required in certain curricula. The title of this post is taken from one of those still-there memories, Trees by Joyce Kilmer.  You probably already knew that.

No comments: