Sunday, October 21, 2018

Judgment


We all judge.  We're told not to. We're told again and again in various ways.  
Bible Study Tools  provides 37 verses to look at if we're even mildly curious.

And yet, we fail.  
Well, I do anyway.  




I've been told that Jesus died for all.  His love is for all.  He gives ALL the status of unsurpassable worth and that's what I'm supposed to do too.  No matter what.

And yet, we fail.  
Well, I do anyway.

But I'm reminded throughout the year.  Sometimes, the reminder comes in the form of a sermon. Not a surprise.  Sometimes, it comes from a deep seated unconscious revelation, "Hey you!  Don't do that!"  Sometimes it comes from the flash of a Chuck Lorre vanity card during the credits at end of a sit-com.  (You have to be quick.  If you can't pause the television, you're gonna' miss it.)

Today, a sermon was the catalyst and then I came across this vanity card.

CHUCK LORRE Vanity Cards
The human mind is very adept at labeling. Left to its own devices, it will label situations, things, places, and people. It's a pretty handy app. Except when it comes to people. Over time those labels tend to solidify. They become all we can see. They become what we experience. The true depth of a person, the breathtaking miracle of their very existence, is replaced with a word. A sound. An assemblage of vowels and consonants. Ink or digital letters on paper or screen. Which is why I sometimes try to look at people and see them, witness them if you will, without immediately attaching a mental label. This is especially fun to do in a crowded public place. After a few minutes of practicing nonjudgmental looking, I find my heart filling with affection for total strangers. It's an extraordinary experience. I encourage you to try it sometime. Be warned though, when you feel affection, you can't stop smiling. This may cause total strangers to react fearfully, or, in New York City, say, "What the hell are you lookin' at, ya friggin' freak?!" "Friggin' freak" being your new label.  (#504 - first aired 10/12/15)
These cards can range from hysterically funny to completely disparaging as they are simply the personal opinions of the writer.  At the same time, once in a while, they hit home.

The quote above mentions an exercise to help us form a reliable go-to position when seeing others.  This is something I can use as I've caught myself judging in the past.

It was probably 20+ years ago and I was at the Mall of America on a Sunday afternoon.  I was waiting on a bench just passing the time.  A young couple walked by me holding hands and pushing a stroller.  The child was no more than 2 years old and reflected the fashion of the parents to a T.

This scene was revolting.

This little kid was pierced all over his body including chains draped from his nipples - exactly like the 'guardians' pushing him along the corridor.

I thought, "Thank God I'm not like THOSE parents."  My reaction was justified, right?  I felt like I should be on the phone calling 9-1-1.  But, apparently, it's not considered abuse.  My prayer was exactly the 'plank-in-my-eye-vs.-the-speck-of-dust-in-yours' that I've been warned about.

We all judge.  We're told not to. We're told again and again in various ways.  

I guess the guilt of my reaction has been triggered by the vanity card.  I should have closed my eyes and offered a prayer more like, "Bless those parents, Lord.  Please be with that child.  May the love that these two have for each other and for their offspring move them toward decisions that are pleasing in Your sight."

But how can I be expected to embrace a nonjudgmental attitude in a situation like this!  How can I possibly be anything other than completely disgusted!

But when Jesus walked this planet, exactly who did He seek out most often?
On hearing this, Jesus said to them, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners." Mark 2:17
So yes, it's going to be hard, especially since I recognize that Jesus came for me!

  • In this culture, we concentrate on stereotypes.  
  • We not only want to be 'right', but we seem to want others to be 'wrong' even more.
  • We concentrate on differences and then magnify them.  
  • We look to find fault in everyone - especially those who do not agree with us adding special emphasis for those who are 'different'.  


What's the solution?  As mentioned above, it's practice.  Practice in the small things so that we're prepared for the large things.  It starts with prayer - for ALL.  I plan to put down my gavel and then;

  • Practice praying for others at the mall.
  • Practice at church.
  • Practice at family dinners,
  • Practice with co-workers.
  • Practice while driving to work. No, really, while driving to work!

Will you?  It's OK. Let them call us "Friggin' freaks"


No comments: