Sunday, October 28, 2018

Impossible to Know

Can you really know if today, yesterday or tomorrow is, was or will be a bad day?

I’ve complained about work-days on frequent occasions. I’ve made numerous comments indicating what kind of day I’ve experienced.  I might even do it every day, come to think about it. Maybe you’ve voiced similar statements;

  • Today was OK.  
  • Yesterday was horrible.  
  • Tomorrow will be a disaster.  
  • Last Saturday was amazing.  



But how do we really know?  Here’s a fictional story to consider.

For you, work today might have gone horribly wrong.  It was a monumental struggle.  The pressure was intense.  Desired outcomes fell short of expectations.  Accomplishments were deferred in favor of dousing one hot-spot after another.

Nothing good happened!
Worst day ever!



Then, a few weeks later, your boss calls you into her office.  She sits you down and it suddenly seems like someone was playing with the thermostat.  It’s hot in here!

But with a smile, she says, “Look.  I know that the past couple of weeks, some days more than others have been brutal.  I want you to know that even in the midst of those incredibly challenging days, your attitude towards helping others was noticed.  In spite of all that happened, you pushed through.  You assisted and helped those around you while being overwhelmed yourself.  And, because of your efforts, things are not as bad as they could have been. 

We recognize your leadership abilities and we want to offer you a promotion.”

So then, would you continue to say, "Worst day ever?"  Perhaps it's suddenly become one of your best days ever!
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28
Going forward, I will need to consciously recognize that I remain ignorant.  I am not qualified, even though I have experienced life on a daily basis, to determine whether or not each day was good or bad.  My only response can be prayer.  I can only ask that I remain faithful and trusting in His goodness.

If you’re a religious FaceBook user, you probably have seen this one already.  Since I am not, it created impactful thought when I read it.

The poem was written and shared on Poetry Nation’s website by Chanie Gorkin, a student in Brooklyn, N.Y.

Today was the absolute worst day ever
And don't try to convince me that
There's something good in every day
Because, when you take a closer look,
This world is a pretty evil place.
Even if
Some goodness does shine through once in a while
Satisfaction and happiness don't last.
And it's not true that
It's all in the mind and heart
Because
True happiness can be attained
Only if one's surroundings are good.
It's not true that good exists
I'm sure you can agree that
The reality
Creates
My attitude
It's all beyond my control
And you'll never in a million years hear me say that
Today was a very good day.

Now read it from bottom to top, the other way,
And see what I really feel about my day.

1 comment:

Mike Taylor said...

Hey! So, this went out with the poem 'centered'. I have discovered that it's a bit difficult to read the poem from the bottom up with this format. It's been corrected - my apologies!
Mike