Sunday, August 19, 2018

I'm not THAT person!

Of course not!

I know who I am – deep down in the center of my being.

I’ve been taught how to behave, how to treat people and how to live honestly.

OK. Sure, I’ll admit that I’m not perfect. But heck – I do a pretty good job!
And your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, “This is the way, walk in it,” when you turn to the right or when you turn to the left.  Isaiah 30:21
Do I always listen to the voice in my head that says, “Don’t do this, you know it isn’t right!”

Do I prayerfully examine decisions that may seem small and insignificant in order to insure that the choice is in keeping with my true center?

Or, perhaps, I rationalize.  Do I justify taking the wrong path since these are ‘small and insignificant’ decisions?

Maybe it’s expedient.  Maybe it won’t matter in the long run.  Maybe nobody will ever know. Maybe it’s just plain for my benefit.



  • Why would anyone care if I left work 30 minutes early?  I’m just not at my best right now and I’m just making mistakes.  It’s better for the company if I just leave and start again tomorrow.
  • That’s a pretty good deal!  The checkout clerk neglected to scan that case of water on the bottom of the grocery cart. Jackpot.  
  • I don’t want to attend this event even though I said I’d be there.  Maybe I’m just not feeling well right now.
  • I know you want to borrow $10.00.  I just can’t spare it right now.  (I can)
  • I see that you need a ride, but I’m going the other way.  (I’m not)

Perhaps it’s true that choices like these mean little in the scope of the world.  But do they mean little in the scope of God’s Kingdom?

You’ve heard of the ‘slippery slope’, right?  This theory presents the idea that small bad decisions lead to large bad decisions.  And this slope works in all areas of our lives.  A small decision to avoid giving someone a ride encourages larger rationalizations.

  • Maybe a decision is made regarding the waitress that served well, but rationalization encourages a smaller tip.
  • Maybe a decision is made regarding employment applications. Just a small resume' ‘adjustment’ will help insure employment.
  • Maybe the co-worker who actually did the work should get full credit.  
  • Maybe that 'honor system' takes into account that not everyone pays.  They're covered.

Each small bad decision will be a nearly imperceptible escalation of the one before.  Each just a slight tilting of the slide until the eventual point where angle and speed ordain an inescapable chaotic tumble to the bottom.

I'm not THAT person . . . am I?

A few years ago, this convicted me (still does) as I realized that no decision should be considered small or insignificant.

"You eventually become the decisions you make."

A significant corrolary:  Although I can't think of an analogy that works as well as the slide, I think it important to remember that the reverse is also true. Perhaps a tree works.  We reach for the light with good decisions and we grow closer to the person God meant us to be.  I don't know - maybe you can come up with something better.  The point here:

Each small good decision creates a nearly imperceitible escalation of the one before. It is possible, even desirable to look at this quote as both warning and aspiration!

No comments: