Sunday, May 14, 2017

Muscle Memory & Gratefulness - Part 1

It's been nearly 8 months since I sold my condo and began a nomadic lifestyle.  I've been with family (thank you!), with friends (again - thanks!) and in hotels.  Shortly, I think I'll plant myself in a more permanent location.  Thank you!

You might think from the first paragraph that gratefulness during times like this is important.  Of course it is.  But what has that to do with muscle memory?

Muscle memory (or perhaps a better term, motor memory) has been on my mind lately.

Take a moment to consider the number of unconscious decisions and motions that we make just walking up stairs. (As I write this, I realize that typing is another example.)

Bend your knee and lift your left leg up towards your chest about 8 inches in order to clear the riser. While leaning toward the stairway slightly, move your leg forward 6 inches bringing it to the center of the stair. Place your left foot on the riser.  Put your weight on the left foot while you lift your right leg at the knee moving it up towards your chest about 8 inches.  Again, move it forward and then down letting it rest next to your left leg.  With additional forward lean, use the muscle in your thigh to pull your body up the stair.  When this is complete, center your weight on both feet. Do this 22 times.


How much thought do you give to getting out of bed in the morning?



What about driving the car, or washing dishes or any of the thousands of things we do each day without any required thought?

This ability, in itself, is one amazing gift for which to be grateful!

However, I've noticed a few times already, that when I get done taking a shower (not painting a picture here), I reach for the towel.  I know where I put the towel.  I know exactly where I put the towel. Then, why do I automatically reach for it on the other side of the tub?

It turns out that without any conscious thought, I reach for it where it's been for the last 10 years while living in the condo!

Another example:
My mother moved a few years ago.  It's not far from her home of 20 years. The appropriate highway exit is now a mile further down the road.  And, of course, I still 'forget' and use that first ramp rather than the second.  Am I just dense?

Above are two examples of this muscle memory in a context that isn't flattering.  These processes were thoughtlessly accomplished because my brain had mapped things out in muscle memory / motor memory having been reinforced time and time again over the span of many years.

But here's the point.  We have this gift whereby we can train ourselves for repetitive tasks.  We can train ourselves for a lot of things - including the ability to be grateful.





I am out of time for today, but here's the plan going forward with this idea.

Part 2
There are real human reasons to be grateful on a regular basis.
And, it's also Biblical.

Part 3
Google Search: "Gratitude is bad for you."

Part 4
An exercise or two which can help train our brains to accomplish muscle memory gratitude.  I still think that being in a constant state of appreciation for all good things (and perhaps even some not so good things) would be a great way to live.

Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.  Thessalonians 5: 15-18.



No comments: