Monday, January 9, 2017

Consider it Pure Joy: Not.

Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.   James 1:2-5

When I added the above scripture quote to the last article, I felt pretty good about it. But, not many hours later, that was no longer true.  There was no evidence pointing to 'pure joy'.

And here's one from Paul:
That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, and in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.  2 Corinthians 12:10
You guessed it.  Not feeling so strong either at this moment in time.  What the...?



One more example.  After a discussion regarding recent life's circumstances, one of you suggested that I write about The Book of Job.  That sounded interesting at the time, but I'm clearly not ready for discussing that elephant-in-the-room.  I think it might be more impactful if / when I get to the reference point called hindsight.

Photo Credit Visual Hunt

Have I asked for wisdom?  

Yes.
Will I persevere?  
Jury's out.
Can I be strong?   
Still a valid question.

I'm thinking that some Monday-morning- quarterback will answer those questions - someday.  

I will, however, take a shot at it anyway.

There are things for which I'm quite grateful:  Close family, close friends, warm summer days (I know...), cold milk and hot showers.  I've noticed that when I actually notice things like these and then consciously whisper "thanks", I feel much better.  

As I make the attempt to notice more opportunities to appreciate what I do have, I believe that days will get better - one moment at a time.

I believe that being human allows for some respite, as well.  It allows for falling and failing.  It allows me to consider that an expectation of pure joy might not be a 24/7 requirement in God's eyes.  This means that  I can appreciate those peaceful spells as they occur.  I can close my eyes and bask in God's providence if only for a fleeting second filled with the hope that more will follow.

Grateful for the opportunity to write and for those who read!



Just a side note:  When I was in grade school, we read the My Weekly Reader.  There's only two things I remember from that publication; Jetson's like Flying cars (They were supposed to be mainstream well before now) and The drive-thru Redwood tree in Yosemite.  NBC reports that flooding has destroyed this landmark.  Grateful that even though I don't have a flying car, I was able to walk through the tree.


No comments: