Sunday, September 27, 2015

Sine Waves

Having taken all of those required math courses (grades not published), I know that there are times when math reflects life.  Or maybe it's the other way around.

Our words and actions have consequences.  
If I do "x", I can anticipate "y". 
If I say "this", she's going to do "that".   

The words and actions of others create reactions.   
If she does "x", I'll counter with "y".
When he says "this", I say, "that".

This nearly automatic interaction with others can be good.  It can also be quite manipulative.

This is not the only way in which life and math mirror each other, however.

Recently, a friend and I were discussing our history together.  How had our shared experiences changed us?  How had we evolved?  In what ways should we move forward?

Some of our "growth" was good.  We had recognized the needs of others and reacted well.  We had learned how best to communicate.

Some, unfortunately, had to be described in very non-complimentary language.  

Explaining this in terms of a pendulum, I had noted that in some areas, we were becoming centered after the extremes of left and right. At the same time, it was being explained to me in terms of sine waves.  We were both talking about the same thing, but his was a better analogy.

Pendulums oscillate with decreasing pinnacles eventually finding rest in the middle.  Sine waves continue moving - as does life.  

Life's ebb and flow is constant and our ability to deal with peaks and valleys defines our character - and our faith.

My research found little describing the correlation of life to math generally - to sine waves in particular.  But I did come across this article which is, in my opinion, worth review.

Life isn't an Arrow by Christopher M. Schroeder on LinkedIn

And let's not forget that 2000 years ago, Paul had something to say about this too.

Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need. I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.…
Philippians 4:12-13

No comments: