Sunday, December 24, 2023

Meaningful Names

Nativity scenes are everywhere, and we sometimes take them for granted. We know the story and even have rules for arranging a manger scene. When I grew up, placing the Baby in this scene was sacrilegious if done before Christmas Day. The three Wise Men though? Yeah. They were there.

Recently, I heard the story of Hagar again - for the first time. (Genesis 16)

I had entirely missed the idea that this slave-girl-made mother had named the God of Creation. She talked with the Angel of the Lord and then called Him, El Roi.

The translation given means, “The God who sees me.”

Yeah, I’m clear that God made me, Jesus loves me, and well, all of the things we may have grown up learning. I know that God sees everything. I also know that it’s not the naughty-and-nice-list kind of seeing as well. But Hagar’s story begged me to realize the depth of this seeing. 

And now, I am experiencing the nativity scene a bit differently.

I can imagine the darkness, the smells, the wonder (and fear) of being a new parent trying desperately to calm the cries of a newborn. But I also remember what it’s like to hold a baby that’s looking at me. The eyes don’t just look, but they seek a bond of trust. They burrow deep into the eyes looking back with a powerful insistence that begs, demands really, to care for and see the child. 

It’s a gift to experience a baby’s intense gaze. 

It’s a gift to imagine this stable baby’s intense gaze. 

But there’s a difference. Our children ask for our love with their eyes. This Bethlehem baby sees everything with complete clarity, then forgives and loves us beyond our ability to understand. This child sees us for exactly who we are with all the knowledge of the universe and asks us to let Him care for us. 

We spend our lives longing for someone to understand us, to completely know us. And here, with the gaze of a child, our longing is fulfilled.

Soon, we will hear that Jesus is called Immanuel, God with us.

Along with that name, I will also think of El Roi, God sees me.

Hagar named Yahweh, who had been speaking to her, “You Are El Roi.” She said, “This is the place where I watched the one who watches over me.” Genesis 16:13


Merry Christmas

1 comment:

Joyce said...

Catching up on some of my emails that got saved until "later." Well done!