Sunday, December 18, 2022

The Loads We Carry

 

“You don’t always get to choose the load, but you can choose how to carry it.” James Clear, author of Atomic Habits.


Just one sentence.

I decided to stop and think about how often I might apply these 16 words in everyday circumstances. 

I now live in Iowa. I have moved from a place that generally receives 11 inches of snow per season. Temperature discussions in Ohio typically center around the concept of above-or-below freezing. 

Northern Iowa on the other hand, receives between 38 and 42 inches of snow per season and will often discuss above or below zero. Above freezing is hardly worth the effort.

I will now be shoveling snow and if this last week means anything, this scoop on the end of a long stick will be scraping the sidewalk almost every day. You see, even if it isn’t snowing, the wind seems to replace all previous efforts of removal with a firmly stated, “Take that!” Yes, Iowa winds can speak.

A heavy winter coat, boots, gloves, and maybe a scarf begin the preparation. Shovel in hand with a bucket of ice melt and I’m out the door. Baby, it’s cold outside. (Yeah, I had to get the Elf movie in here somewhere – it’s that time of year!) 

So then, let’s see.  What else can I complain about?

But 16 words.

OK. OK. Maybe I will look at this another way. Today, blessed with warm clothing and a shovel in hand, I get some fresh air and exercise. My heart pumps a little more than usual and when finished, there is a safe walkway for the pedestrians that brave the weather to get where they’re going. All in all, a job well done.

I have no doubt that rethinking this task can make all the difference.

I have no doubt that the short phrase that began this discussion should be a mantra. Perhaps this year’s “Word of the Year” will again be a phrase.  Maybe I’ll use, “Sixteen words.” I’m going to give that some thought.

Whether being awarded the “Word/Phrase of the Year” or not, I can only imagine that choosing to remember the advice supplied will help keep attitude and energy focused on better rather than worse. It will seek gratitude rather than condemnation. It will focus on opportunity rather than misfortune. It will reveal blessings while dismissing the perceived curses. 

This will prove to be invaluable as I seek a closer relationship with God. I will find myself living with gracious thanksgiving and abundant life along with the hope that someday, all struggles will cease, all pain will be eliminated, and only love will remain.

As we approach Christmas, the joy of thinking about this seems to demand a chorus of praise.



Merry Christmas!


No comments: