Sunday, November 13, 2022

Making Gold

I have a backlog of article ideas. Since I can only get one of these out per week, it’s become a reservoir of potential. Although I try to keep things current using situational examples from the past week or so, I do go back and look through the treasures contained in this library of concepts.

So today, we’re talking about a 2016 movie: Milton’s Secret.  

In a story about an 11-year-old boy named Milton Adams, we see a life filled with worry, anxiety, and pain. Life is hard, let’s just admit this upfront.

We know that bullying is common in the world today, especially in schoolyards.

We know parents have anxieties upon anxieties trying to navigate the spinning microcosm of home life, work life, spiritual life, friendships, family dynamics, and caring for those under their responsibilities.

So, in a nutshell, we can identify with the characters and circumstances presented in this film.

But in comes Grandpa Howard, played by Donald Sutherland. (He sure looks the part.  Maybe I’d gain a little wisdom if I sported a grey beard? I might have to develop other traits as well, though. They would be things like patience, understanding, love, and well never mind.  Back to the story.)

Milton is tasked with giving a speech in the school auditorium.  He’s nervous but is told to speak from the heart and he’ll be fine.  

His topic? The War Between the States. With a runtime of just under 4 minutes, Milton's speech can be found on YouTube. The transcript used below was taken from SubsLikeScript.com

“I think the war between the states is over. I learned that this week.”
Audience laughs.
That's the war I'm talking about. The one we're all in.
We argue with each other so much, hold grudges, say awful things about each other behind people's backs.
It's a big, big war.
Everybody walking around wounded. I got wounded, and it hurts.
I was so upset, so worried about getting wounded again, I couldn't do anything else. There was a civil war raging right inside me.
Then...
...my grandpa came to visit.
And he taught me how to stop the war...
...using this.
(holding a large beaker)
Imagine that you're a beaker. Whatever you choose to put inside of you, that's who you are.
You fill your glass with hate and fear, pour in your worries about the past or the future, you're probably gonna be miserable.
If you fill your beaker with love and caring, miracles can happen. Wars can end. People can be different.
That's the secret.
We all can change.
You just have to take the empty space and turn it into gold. And when you do that, the war is over.
My grandpa calls it alchemy.
Which means that my best friend...my parents...even my neighbors......are all alchemists.
Now I'm done.


Since Milton and his friend have been trying to create gold in a test tube, he is familiar with alchemy. He also burns down a vacant house in the attempt, so there’s that.



Grandpa Howard uses alchemy to help explain how to stop this civil war issue.  

With examples, Grandpa Howard shows how to fill this beaker to create gold. He transformed a snarling dog into a friend by staring into the dog’s eyes and handing him a bone. This was followed up by acknowledging the dog’s owner with an uplifting compliment creating transformational results as well.

Milton was shown that planting seeds of kindness can bring hope to an angry man.

Well, I suppose people could look at this film and dismiss it with words like, “Another stupid feel-good movie. This world doesn’t operate that way." They could rate it one star out of five and might even be happy to do so. 

But I suggest that lifting people up is one of our main jobs. I believe that kindness is an important tool for this purpose. 
"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples if you love one another.” John 13: 34-35
We all know that the world works quite differently, especially in this country. We might choose to throw up our hands and agree that any efforts on our part are useless while continuing on the same path. 

We can decide that taking care of number one is the only way to live.

But that statement sounds nothing like our calling to be representatives of Jesus on earth. 
"So, we are Christ’s ambassadors; God is making his appeal through us. We speak for Christ when we plead, “Come back to God!”               2 Corinthians 5:20
And taking care of number one seems to reject entirely the 'suggestion' that we love our neighbor as ourselves. 
"Jesus answered him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.” John 3:3
And when number one comes first, as it so often does, it definitely states that we are choosing treasures on earth rather than those in heaven.
"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21
We are gifted the choice of making gold on earth or making it "on earth as it is in heaven". I hope to fill my empty beaker with wise choices starting with kindness.



No comments: