Sunday, August 28, 2022

In My Time

I can’t say why, especially since I enjoyed Harry Potter, but I just have never had the desire to immerse myself in watching The Lord of the Rings. Many have said that I’m crazy for purposefully removing myself from this classic. 

I treated this film more like a serving of an unnatural shade of squishy green canned asparagus. Vile.  

Facing my fears, I decided to give it a go.

Having already forgotten, but the first 30 minutes of the film seemed familiar. I had watched but never finished the first of the trilogy. Come on, Mike. You can do it!

I did not quit.

Maybe I was more open to this fantasy world than the last time, but some things started to resonate. 

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Hard stop.

A million swirling electrical impulses firing in random sequence sending neurons everywhere.

“All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.”

Well now. The results of those brain interactions could be the catalyst for a good number of articles. But much to your imagined delight, I shall completely refrain from commenting. 

While I am writing, the quote applies only to me. 

While you are reading, the quote applies only to you.

I will simply ask that you read the first quote again. Incorporate these words and the accompanying images into your life experiences. Examine the whole while considering the world you live in.  Populate your thought process with your own beliefs and opinions and see where a movie quote can take you.

While performing these exercises, I wanted to include this link to “May it Be – by Enya”. This rendition was played during the first of the 3 connected films. 

Since I found the words of this song to be like a Gaelic Prayer and while listening, I began thinking of specific individuals, I closed my eyes saying a petitionary prayer. "God, please be with them."

In this same spirit, I ask that God be with you as well.



Along with the prayer, I believe in the answer as well.
“A promise lives within you now”. 


 


No comments: