Saturday, October 9, 2021

The Giving of Ourselves

“It has always seemed strange to me…The things we admire in men, kindness and generosity, openness, honesty, understanding, and feeling, are the concomitants of failure in our system. And those traits we detest, sharpness, greed, acquisitiveness, meanness, egotism, and self-interest, are the traits of success. And while men admire the quality of the first, they love the produce of the second.” | John Steinbeck


I wonder how many people see this statement as true.  

John Steinbeck’s words landed in my email box this week at a vulnerable time.  I had finished a daily attempt to continue reading The Sum of Us by Heather McGee.  It’s a difficult book to absorb but it’s part of my Greenwood Rising - #Groupsof10 commitment.  (Have you joined us yet? More information is in the links below.)

After putting the book down, I scrolled through email and text messages.  I then spent a few minutes on YouTube – I was in the mood for a little music.  But that’s where I fell apart.  

I have saved several videos that have in some way touched me and proceeded to view them before signing out.  You might remember some of these as they have appeared in previous articles (indicated with an asterisk).   

These videos show people going the extra mile with the gift-of-self either individually or in groups. They prove that we are different and yet very much the same.  We are connected in ways that we may have forgotten.  We are connected in ways that quickly become so extraordinary that we can barely wrap our minds around them. 

Each of them, for me anyway, evokes an emotional response.

Each of them has something to do with “kindness and generosity, openness, honesty, understanding, and feeling.”

None of them have anything to do with “sharpness, greed, acquisitiveness, meanness, egotism, and self-interest.”

This is what it means to understand how we will gradually, silently, but noticeably become the choices we make. Efforts to give of ourselves will change us.  Continuing to judge, to marginalize, to oppress, to ridicule, well these will also serve to change us. Please God, let me make good choices.




Gift of Self

Gift of Groups

Lest you think that reactions might be different in other parts of the world, I found similar musical flash mobs in China, Japan, Ireland, and various locations across the US. Search for yourself - and see how much we mirror each other.

As different as we are, we are the same

Groups of 10

I believe there is something here with this "Groupsof10" concept.  I believe that with small groups, we can serve others in many simple and sometimes very extravagant ways.  Consider participating, please.  There could be hundreds of these groups - created for one purpose and then gone.  You might have ideas of your own so think about how you can start one of these groups!


And just one more thing.  

Today is Pastor Appreciation Day.  

Do something nice!


No comments: