Saturday, May 9, 2020

Viewpoints

We all have opinions and that is a blessing.  But, I truly believe that in any gathering of 10, there could be upwards of 15 different points of view as some opinions blow with the wind.

But I’m so very disappointed.  I thought (naively) that the pandemic we’re living through (most of us) would point to something better.  I thought this crisis could unite us. I thought it could lead to a greater tolerance for others and the opinions they voice.  I thought it would guide us to an understanding that we’re human, fragile, and need each other – all the time, not just in crisis.  I thought a common need could grow a new love between people of every thought, culture, color, and economic status.  I thought – well, never mind what I thought as I’m clearly wrong.  I’ll own that outright.  I’ll own that with my own crushing disappointment.

Our culture seems to believe the truth is subjective.  Hoax, fake news, misinterpretation, misguided information, outright lies, and the agendas of others including media and politicians have resulted in silos of truth based entirely on individual infallibility.  One is either with us or dead wrong.

But, let me suggest that the following is true - for all of us.



Presently there is no cure for a dangerous airborne virus.  We have learned that it passes from one to another silently without fanfare.  It blows in the winds of our very words, our very breath.  It is possible to spread this invader asymptomatically.  It invades and can do serious damage.

We argue and discuss solutions to this statement. There are countless opinions.  Guidelines have been suggested and sometimes mandated creating a great deal of disharmony.  Some believe that what has been done and what will be done should be ignored.  Solutions presented are dismissed as useless.

I can empathize with each of the statements below and there are probably many more generalities that could or should apply.
  • Perhaps you’re immune.  
  • Perhaps you tested negative - ( at least, yesterday anyway). 
  • Perhaps you feel indignant as your rights are being trampled. Living in a free society must mean that nobody can tell you what you can or cannot do. 
  • Perhaps you’ve been so deeply hurt financially that ‘back-to-work-as-things-used-to-be’ is the only way to survive.
But this virus has killed.

I for one, believe in the idea that we are all responsible for each other in some very concrete ways.  I was taught that love can only be love when shared.  I am solidly behind a God who loves each of His creations – no matter what.

I am;
  • To love my neighbor as myself – the term is used expansively here.
  • To serve my neighbor in ways that protect their health and well-being.
  • To take identical precautions for my neighbor as I do for myself doing no harm to another.  
I don’t believe that wearing a mask will guarantee that I will never spread this virus, but medical recommendations are in place that strongly suggests it helps.

I don’t believe that wearing a mask will absolutely prevent me from being infected with this virus, but medical recommendations are in place that strongly suggests it helps.

I don’t believe that stay-at-home orders preclude me from ever spreading or being infected by this virus.  But again, you already know what I’m going to say.

In other words, I don’t believe that these measures work flawlessly – but they appear to help.

A two-way street is created here: I do my best to protect you and you do likewise. Together, WE make a difference.

Contemplating how difficult it is to stay at home and to wear a mask when I’m not at home, my thoughts focus on several things.
  • I consider the nurses in my own family.  They are in the front line as they willingly step up at risk to themselves assisting neighbors in daily ministry serving, soothing, and comforting the sick.
  • I think about the truck-drivers in my own family. Drivers who leave their families for days on the road delivering supplies and groceries are taking risks upon themselves to serve the rest of us.
  • I consider my mother looking out of the window at an assisted-living facility - this her only way of seeing the world today.  She takes an attitudinal high-road as she survives without the close family interaction that she misses more than I can imagine.  I hear stories of her willingness to observe the rules as she wears a mask when outside of her own room and takes her meals in solitude. I can feel the pain in her voice over the phone lines and I’m proud of her for being willing to sacrifice so much at this point in her life.
  • I consider how I might feel if my blatant refusal to comply with these semi-mandated inconveniences would cause one ounce of agony to my daughter, mother, grandchildren, sisters, brothers, and yes, my neighbors. 
  • I consider how they might feel if a refusal to submit caused me pain as well.

So, in the end, do what you wish to do in the Land of the Free.  Despite the crushing disappointment, I believe I am called to something different by loving each of you in the best way possible. I will continue to wear a mask.  I will continue to stay at home.  I'll voluntarily do these things until I know I've done everything I can to protect myself - and YOU.


2 comments:

KAY DUNCAN said...

THE BEST READ IN MONTHS !!

Mike Taylor said...

Thank you for such kind words, Kay Duncan. Your comment is appreciated more than you can know. Be safe, Mike.