Sunday, October 6, 2019

The Push of a Button; Microwave Mentality


I always joke around when the topic of home-made dinners come up.  I mention to those in the conversation that for the last number of years, if it doesn’t go beep-beep-beep when it’s done cooking, I’m probably not the one eating it.

So I’m doing everything wrong.  The dictates of the medical community discourage processed foods.  The decrees of nutritionists encourage slow and deliberate consumption of meals.  But when I get back from the office, it’s late and I’m famished. I'm not waiting.

So, although violating all the mandates, it works! (Except for that weight-gain…)

This is how I imagine that a lot of us live; instantaneous and immediate gratification followed quickly by the next moment of life.



I get nervous when I think about this rushed existence.  I’m probably missing out on moments that matter – awe-inspired gifts that stare at me while waiting to be recognized.  I don’t want to miss bounties that make life worth living – these given for our enjoyment by a good and gracious heavenly Father.

I get nervous when I think that I might be short-changing my spiritual life as well.  Am I a ‘beep-beep-beep’ follower of Jesus?  Do I quickly hurry through spiritual exercise to get to the next moment of life with my Creator?  What incredible things do I lose as I neglect the slow and deliberate consumption of the voice of God?

I’ll probably still use the microwave.  But I think I’ll look at it a little differently now.

I appreciate that looking at an invention created for speed of food preparation might also be a reminder to slow down to the life of prayer, gratitude and praise for gifts given from above.



Therefore the LORD longs to be gracious to you, And therefore He waits on high to have compassion on you For the LORD is a God of justice; How blessed are all those who long for Him. Isaiah 30:18 

No comments: