Sunday, April 14, 2019

Looking Back

Sometimes I walk in a mostly vacant mall just for a little exercise – little being the operative word. Yes, I should walk more.  I’ll think about it.

During one of those rare times, I came across this.

It’s a dinosaur in our age.  I remember looking for a pay-phone (yes, that's what they are called) many times when accessibility to others was not in our pockets.  I remember keeping coins (dimes and then quarters) available to "reach out and touch someone" should it be necessary.

Phone booths were all over the place.  They were on street corners.  They were in nearly every gas station.  They were, well in malls.

I even remember that Clark Kent changed into Superman using a phone booth.  (Where would he go today?)



Sometimes, it’s good to look back.  I'm certain there were times when one of these antiquated tools may have saved the day.

Sometimes, it’s hysterical to look back.  Remembering what things were like 50, 30, even 10 years ago is similar to talking about the world before flight or color TV - or even TV!

I'm frequently finding that when looking back, the people I am talking to have no idea what I'm saying.  Things change so fast in our world.

This week, we’ll be looking back.

We’re going to hear the stories we heard when we were children.  We’re going to listen to the long narratives of the Passion story. We won’t be remembering how things used to be. We weren't there.

What if we closed our eyes and imagined what it might have been like to be there.  Wouldn't this help us to experience the story of Jesus who became one of us as He saved all of us on a Cross?

  • What if we saw the whips tearing flesh while seeing our own failings being scourged?  
  • What if we imagined our child stumbling under the weight of a tree toward an unimaginable death for the sake of those killing Him?
  • What if?  

We’ll be remembering what happened 2000 years ago.

  • Not something that has passed away in favor of new technology.  
  • Not something that no longer exists in the memories of our elders.  
  • Not something that is used, worn out or obsolete.

We’ll be remembering what happened 2000 years ago.  Le'ts think about the fact that it continues to happen for each one of us - today.   These stories are relevant. 





         This week, as I listen, I plan to be there.



No comments: