Sunday, January 20, 2019

Power in Unlikely Places

Recently, I was asked to spend a couple of hours in front of 40 sales people and assorted work-place dignitaries and guests.  Originally, this was to be a training session for the business system implemented 16 months ago.  Let’s just say, the launch started out poorly and that major issues continue even today.

It’s critical that things are done correctly at the start of the work-flow process if one expects to have reliable data when the work-flow stops.  Additionally, the system in place is completely unforgiving.  Mistakes are costly in the form lost productivity.

Month after month, as we struggle to get a handle on this system, tempers have been known to get a bit difficult to control.  Salespeople struggle in efforts to work with customers.  They frequently feel that our new system is preventing them from doing what they do best, and change is not welcome.  Finance struggles with conformity and uniformity.  Every rule exception creates systemic havoc.



Sales reps are accustomed to a flexibility that is no longer available as this system is locked to best business practice defined by this new structure.  “We can’t let this &%*#& system dictate how we do our business!”, is heard frequently as a rally cry or at very least, a common mantra.

As I developed the presentation, I became increasingly convinced that training wasn’t the real issue.  These people sell a very complicated software solution.  They are smart people!  Telling them to click here and then click there, add this and enter that are mechanical and repetitious functions.  In most cases, it’s the same every time.

So if it’s not complicated, what is the problem?  And if this problem can be defined, how is it possible to spend two plus hours effectively creating a positive shift when the audience anticipates this part of their day will be boring, antagonistic or even completely irrelevant?  Bring back the good old days is what they really want to hear.
  • There will need to be training – that’s what people expect and procedure demands this.
  • There will need to be some frivolity combined with some creative interaction to keep them engaged.
  • The goal will be a commitment from them.  They will need to be guided towards a common conviction that accepts the fait accompli.  They will need to conclude on their own that we need to behave in a cohesive and unified manner.  All of us need to understand the struggles of each department and begin working together to accomplish the goals of all.
I’m not certain, but I think the day went well.  We had a good time.  There were “I LOVE this system” gift cards.  There was good interaction as we discussed and discovered the why and the how.  There would be, hopefully, more commitment to use the system as intended for the good of all.

I started the meeting with my index finger.  I wet the tip and held it high as I checked which way the wind was metaphorically blowing in this room of system-frustrated people.  Would I need a bullet-proof vest?  Should I have worn running shoes for a quick get-away?  Why is the exit on the other side of the room?  OK – we’re laughing.  I’m probably safe.

The presentation continued.  I don't know about them, but I felt more relaxed!

Bringing the day to a close, the meeting ended with the same finger but this time, the focus was much different.

The audience was told what can be done with this digit-of-little-importance:
  • We use it when we encounter someone we haven’t seen for a long time.  We point and say, “HEY!  Good to see you!”  
  • We use it to give directions to others.  We point and say, “Take a left at the corner with the stop sign. Then, drive two blocks and you’ll see the building on the right.”  
  • We use it to direct attention to beauty. We point and say, “Look at the blood-moon!  Awesome!”  
  • We use it to help in emergencies.  We point and say, “Stay away from that stove.  The burner is hot!"
So perhaps this finger has more importance than we initially gave credit. Actually, the real story says this protuberance is not just important but powerful. And powerful things can be used beneficially or destructively.

You remember that this room of people was struggling with a system they didn’t want.  Things had rarely gone well and it seemed to them that speed-bumps from finance and I.T. were common.  They had heard me, and others, say frequently, “This system will not allow you to do that!”

With that in mind, I asked them to hold up their index fingers.  They did – but their questioning faces almost made me laugh.  THAT would have completely destroyed the point I was trying to make.  I held firm.

I quietly asked them to point their fingers directly at me in blame for the failures they had endured.  I asked them to point toward me in angry accusation.  I asked them to place guilt on me.

I looked up.

There were no fingers pointed in my direction. They actually said things like, "NO WAY!" They understood that nobody was deliberately getting in their way.  We were truly in the boat together – each with an oar, each with a job to do and all with the same mission.

I asked that we all remember this powerful 'pointer'.  If it would make us uncomfortable to straighten our index finger in accusation while standing in front of another, then we are probably blaming the wrong person.  Perhaps we should try this in front of a mirror as well.  It's possible that at any given time, the blame could be our own and yet not our fault. In this system, we are a work in progress and we will make progress - together.

Cooperation might win over stubbornness.  Acceptance might win over sabotage. Understanding might win over judgment.

For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.  Matthew 7:2

No comments: