Sunday, January 13, 2019

Winter Storm Warning

I stopped in the grocery store Friday afternoon for just a couple of things.  I did not stay.

It was somewhere between 1:30 and 2PM when I drove into the lot.  Puzzled because there seemed to be no place to park, I made the aisle rounds and eventually was able to direct the nose of the vehicle into a vacancy at the far end of the property. 

I didn’t stay because it was evident that the few items sought would not be worth the wait.  Again, I wondered at the crowds.  It took a couple of seconds for enlightenment.  Cincinnati was under a Winter-storm warning beginning at 4AM Saturday morning.  The warning would be in effect until 7AM Sunday morning.



The metropolitan and surrounding communities were expecting 6 inches of show.  Apparently, people felt compelled to empty grocery shelves in preparation for 27 hours of potential immobility.  From Minnesota, I could not help but to be amused.  Did they think they’d starve?  (This whole weather thing seems to have me entranced lately as I compare my climate roots and conditioned reactions to those of this place where I find myself.)

I am not, by any means, unaware of the chaos that a winter storm can bring.  I understand the difficulties that some cities face as this type of weather event is rare.  It is certain that road crews are ill-prepared to clear roads and keep things moving when these conditions are infrequent and prohibitively expensive.

Saturday morning arrives.

As I stand in the open doorway this morning, I wonder if any of my thoughts would be common to my neighbors. 

Would they look at the couple of inches covering their car and be awed by the beauty?

Would they appreciate the whirling and dancing flakes steadily floating to the ground as they cover the landscape in a soft, fluffy, clean and sparkling white blanket?

Would they hear the silence that I hear as the world seems to be muffled and still?

Would they remember, “Be still and know I am God”?




* * * * 
Continued.

Sunday morning arrives.

Yes, I was finished with this article yesterday.  With coffee in hand, it just seemed so easy to see God in the miracle of nature.

Today is not yesterday.  Around 5AM, I heard people outside.  I heard scraping.  I heard the shrill whine of spinning tires.  There was to be no more sleep.  A neighbor needed a little help.  

No time to make coffee. It was boots, gloves and jackets.  It was another 6 to 8 inches of heavy, water-filled sludge.  An exit required movement up a gradual incline.  Pushing and shoving, each inch of real estate took its toll. Each rotation of the tires compacted this morning surprise into an inch of ice.  We gave up in favor of recognizing that not a single car in this lot was going to inch its way up the hill anytime soon.  

So where is God in this mess?

I have a new friend, for certain.  We had not met before 5AM this morning and we spent a little time grunting and falling and laughing together.   

Of course, this came with a little conviction as well.  Don't poke fun at people who are preparing for a storm.  Obviously, they know best!  

And now, for the coffee....




No comments: