Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Midweek Moments; You Get What You Get


This past Saturday, I ordered groceries online for pick-up.  I’ve never done that before but it’s a new world now.  The amount that I was to be charged was nearly $45.00.

I would be notified when the order was ready and when leaving, I was to use an app on my phone.  Following the instructions, the app calculated the time it would take to reach the store. Directions dictated that I pull up by a yellow post (and there were dozens).   Somehow, this phone app knew where I was and apparently notified the clerk as within a minute, groceries were being placed in my vehicle.



The actual amount charged was about $15.00. Two-thirds of my order was unavailable. As ingenious as the process proved to be, the end result must be called disappointing.

I decided to complete my order from another grocery chain.  Going back online Saturday afternoon, I was informed that my pick-up appointment was April 1 between 8 and 9PM, The total would be once again, about $45.00

This is becoming a bit weird;
  • I had to wait 4 days before I could ‘finish’ shopping this week - and I needed an appointment.  
  • I have never gone grocery shopping at 9PM.  Half the time, I'm in bed already.  I guess I should set my alarm just in case!
  • I don’t even know what I’ll have in the bags when I get home.
And then suddenly, I hear, “You get what you get, dad.”

These words I first heard from my daughter when she was about three years old. She is so very wise!

Sometimes, a guy just has to make the best of these situations. Instead of being frustrated, I’ll compare this to a birthday party because;
  • You don’t have a birthday party just any time you want.  You have to wait – usually more than 4 days.
  • The gifts are wrapped and you don’t know what is in the boxes.  You might have dropped hints expecting that someone will bring what you’ve been dreaming about but you must live with anticipation as you wait.
When was the last time I truly looked forward to the gift called groceries?  Well, never!

But listen. Taking things for granted is no way to live.  We have become used to expectations rather than anticipation. We’ve reached a point where we consider almost everything as an entitlement.  But I think we’re missing something because of our attitudes.

We’re missing the excitement of waiting. We’re missing the anticipation and surprise of daily life including even the mundane events.

As we near the end of the season of Lent, we look forward to Easter and the celebration of life over death. But this story we know well - perhaps we know it too well.

Let us not lose the anticipation of Lenten preparation.
Let us truly feel excited about this gift of life over death.

You get what you get. This is true.  Sometimes, we are a far cry from deserving the gift received.

For the gift of His sacrifice on the Cross, we thank you, Lord.



No comments: