Saturday, September 15, 2018

Servants

I've been thinking a lot about how we treat each other lately.  It seems like we're travling down a road that will never lead to anything good and yet, if I look closely, I can find things that do reflect the image of God we are designed to be.

As I thought about my next article, I decided to look for The Servant Song  This piece brings to mind that we're on this planet to help each other. I looked through a number of YouTube videos finding many and choosing one.

The plan was not complicated.  Listen to the song, think about the lyrics and consider what it means to be a better neighbor.

Simple!

But suddenly, it got deeper. Much deeper. Tear jerking deeper.



It wasn't the music and the lyrics that I knew so well, although maybe that contributed to the mood.

It was the YouTube ad.  (A fleeing thought of Tim the Toolman)

When you open a video on this platform, you will normally see advertisements from sponsors.  There's a little button on the lower right which does a count-down.  "You can skip this add in 4 seconds, 3 seconds - you get the idea.  And, probably like most of us, I impatiently wait out the ad until I can click the button allowing me to reject the intrusion in favor of the video I'm seeking.

I didn't click the "Skip Ad" button.

I watched all five minutes and thirteen seconds of it.  And melted.

I then spent 20 minutes trying to find that ad again.  LOOKING for an ad? Who does that?!

The intended simple message to think about how you could be a better neighbor got a boost.  It isn't just about thinking, learning or considering what this means.  It became an urgent DO something!

What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them? Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.  James 2:14-17

There are two videos below.  One is The Servant Song (David Haas) and the second is the advertisement that brought me to my knees.  I can't say that it will do the same to you but maybe it will give you pause and be a catalyst for action.

Exercise:

Stop what you're doing, make a cup of coffee and just sit in a quiet place. Click the link below, and listen carefully to the lyrics.


Then, watch:



I have two suggested actions:

1, A good friend of mine in Florida is celebrating a birthday today.  She's asked that people donate to Rett Syndrome Research Trust for a child she knows.  What would it be like to have a little girl with a rare genetic mutation affection brain development?  (If you donate, let me know and I'll tell Pat.)

2, My daughter works with a nurse at the Mayo Clinic.  This nurse, this caring-for-others person, recently learned her child has Leukemia.  Life is no longer the life she knew.  I simply can't imagine. This is close to home, again.

Reach out to me if you'd like more information on donating.  Do not feel pressured.  It's on your heart or it isn't and that's OK.

In any case, you probably know how you could take SOME action for someone close to you, a neighbor, a friend-of-a-friend or even a stranger.

Maybe do something?
Maybe today?


No comments: