Sunday, July 22, 2018

Choices. It's Always a Choice

Greetings all

Last week, I had the amazing opportunity to meet with good friends in the ‘beautiful’ city of Cincinnati.  While having coffee at Dunkin’ Donuts (with donuts of course, because you HAVE to have donuts at Dunkin’ Donuts) I was asked if I had stopped writing because maybe I’ve been ‘un-inspired’.

The response was along the lines of ‘busy-ness’ rather than lack of inspiration. 

Well, it’s true.  I’ve been busy.  Most work-weeks have seen 6 days for months now.  I come home tired and not so much in the mood to write.


During the past number of days, I’ve been convicted regarding the incompleteness of my answer – and perhaps its veracity.  Yes, although life is busy, an inadequate supply of inspiration certainly applies.

More conviction followed.

I admit it - I chose not to write.  There are excuses and there are, what many would call reasons.  But, the bottom line – there is always the choice.

In all things, we can choose to listen to the world when it says, “You’re too tired. You’re not inspired.  It doesn’t matter if you write or not. What you have to say isn’t important.  Who reads this stuff anyway? Just putting it on paper does nothing to better your life.”

You can fill in your personal justifications as your situation warrants.  It can really apply to anything that is good for you and others being neglected in favor of excuses. Listening to the world is listening to lazy, to rationalization and to vindication of the flesh.

“For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh.  They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever you want.” 
Galatians 5:  17 

Considering what choices I should make are completely dependent on what the Spirit tells me to do. I need to listen as;

  • The spirit tells me to love others and myself.  
  • The Spirit tells me to pray for wisdom and understanding.  
  • The Spirit tells me that it’s good for ME to write even if nobody reads the words.  
  • The Spirit tells me that inspiration comes from being aware of my surroundings so as to encourage research and consider God working in my life. 
  • The Spirit tells me to talk about this new Kingdom sharing with others His glory and grace.

The excuse relating to insufficient inspiration is a direct result of the choice to ignore my own surroundings.

Inspiration comes from observation, awareness and from daily interactions with others.

  • I will open my eyes and ears.  
  • I will use all my senses to discover and consider. 
  • I will treasure the time I have with others as they inspire my life with even small, unintended conversations.  

This didn’t take very long – and I feel so much better!  (Thank you, Senor)

No comments: